Pure red (07G) tape sample

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pure red (07G) tape sample

Does anyone have an unmolested sample of the Pure Red (07G) tape used on my 1983 GS650G? My red tape is badly faded so any color matching I do with it is bogus. I will be sending my tank and plastics out to get the decals reproduced while there is still some decal left.

The closest I have found so far is a pure red emblem at Anderson Vintage Parts. It is supposed to be new old stock sealed in the original bag so it hasn't been exposed to UV.

I'm not as concerned about the Sunday Orange (05F) tape because Ted has already matched that color for one of his Katanas.

Thanks.

Jim
    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

I saw the Sunday Orange sample yesterday but it looked too red to me. The supplier told me that both red and orange fade badly so the best bet is to find a new old stock decal that was stored properly. He doesn't need to know the exact color until he prints the decals so I have a couple of weeks to find more color samples.

I am planning to order some decals from Anderson Vintage to get samples of pure red and Sunday orange. I couldn't find anything for the GS650G but I found a couple of tank emblems for early 80s bikes that have the correct color codes.

And just to confuse matters, the 1983 Katana tank decal I found has a Sunday orange color code, but the Suzuki fiche calls it red.

Jim
    1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
      I am planning to order some decals from Anderson Vintage to get samples of pure red and Sunday orange.
      Jim
      Bzzzzt! Not Anderson vintage parts... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=85641
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Bzzzzt! Not Anderson vintage parts... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=85641
        I thought I saw that name somewhere else. Those problems have been going on for a long time. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Jim
        1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

There is a color code cross reference that rusty has posted in the past

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            There is a color code cross reference that rusty has posted in the past
            Thanks. I'll do some more searching.

Jim
            1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
              Thanks. I'll do some more searching.

Jim

Comment

I have Suzuki-Farbcode.pdf but the decal guy would rather match new old stock decals if I can find them. My decals are just too faded. The bike spent a lot of time parked in direct sun when I used to ride to work every day. If I can't find anything I will make a best guess based on old photos and Suzuki-Farbcode.

It seems that not all the tape colors have a corresponding paint color (eg Sunday orange). I also found more than one color code for pure red. 07G is correct for my bike according to the fiche.

Thanks.

Jim
                1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

You can see on mine, Jim, that the red is very red. Not sure if you can make out the orange, but TO ME it looks like there is a bit of red in it. From some angles it is almost impossible to tell the red from orange. It might be a little easier to see in this pic:

I'm still in new Brunswick, but will be home Wednesday and should be able to shoot some pics by end of day Thursday.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

and here is a closer shot. The exposure is a bit odd due to shooting in low light:

'83 GS650G

Comment

How about colour matching off a NOS side panel. I see the colour codes match through various years.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        How about colour matching off a NOS side panel. I see the colour codes match through various years.
                        That's definitely a 1983 cover. I believe that the red and orange tape were the same on the both the black and red bikes, although the part numbers are different for the tape sets. It's kind of hard to see an accurate color on a typical eBay photo. Brian says he can match the tape color off the part even with a different background color, so I bought it.

The colors look good in your first photo. I went through a bunch of photo albums last night and still have a huge pile of slides to look at. I'm sure I have pictures of my bike when it was new. I also recall having a Suzuki brochure that had a large picture of my bike but I can't find it. The best I've found so far is a thumbnail sized picture on a 1983 full-line poster.

I emailed Ted Cymbaly last night about another ebay auction. Retro-motorcycles has a NOS 1982 Katana set that I think is Sunday orange, but the picture is too fuzzy to read the color code on the label.

Jim
                        Last edited by GSJim; 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM. Reason: Bought the part
                        1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

The NOS side cover arrived. The background is maroon, but the red and orange should be the same as my bike. The orange looks OK but the red is a bit washed out by the flash. Yes, it's a bit dirty. I want Brian to see the colors as received, so I didn't clean or dust the cover.

Jim
                          1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

It IS hard to see in the pic, but looks close enough to the colours on mine to work. The maroon plays tricks with the mind, along with the flash, to make that red look very orange.

I'm 2-3 weeks out from getting the tank and fender over to Leedam for painting. Meant to ask him about laying clear over decals...
                            '83 GS650G

Comment

I think the orange looks pretty good but red is a tough color. I compared the orange to some color samples that Ted Cymbaly has for his Katanas and found that his orange is a bit more red than this side cover.

Brian is tracing the decals now and will need to choose colors soon. We might have to match the orange we have and then pick a decent red to go with it.

Jim
                              1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Working...
                              X