Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder couating, frame ID plate problem

Hi all!

I am in the beginning of my 550 Katana's restoration. The tear down is nearly complete. I really want to powder coat the frame in textured black. My only concern is this little frame ID plate here:

I think is trouble to paint near the plate, and the powder can't fly under it hmmm... anybody find a solution for this? Is it OK, to not paint this little area, and paint the rest of the frame?? Will the paint chipping off because of this??

Thank you!

I have to keep it, because the records in the police, and government. I can't touch it!! If they realize that I am removed it, and after put it back, I am in big trouble...

drill out the rivets then rivet it back on after powder coating
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

All I am seeing is a red X, but it sounds like you are talking about the sticker with the VIN number? As far as I know the Vin is also hard stamped into the neck. If that is the case you should be able to remove the ID plate/sticker.
      Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
      2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I've never seen a VIN plate like that. All the GS's I've seen use a sticker, not a plate like that. What country are you in? Maybe the originating country required a riveted VIN plate? Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. Drilling out the rivets may render the ID invalid. I'd talk to your powder coat guy and ask if he can mask the area. There are special high temp tapes available for just such a purpose.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

you can buy brass round head rivets.........

nobody will ever know!!!
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

The bike built in Germany...

Thanks for the idea, I will search on the frame, if there is any other ID possibility. In my country Hungary, every bike/car etc. has a green ID paper. In it you can find the engine number and the frame nubmer, and the datas of the bike. There is an exam what a bike should absolve to be road legal every 2 year. This date is there, too. If a policeman stop me, he can check the matching numbers, and every 2 years in the exam, they check it, too. You can't change frame, or engine easily. Engine is a possibility, if the another engine is exactly identical swap. And you have to pay for the change! You CAN'T change frame!! If the plate is damaged, or buggered, I have to sell out the bike in parts!!! No other way...

Comment

Contact the authorities to see if you can have one of them witness the matching plate and frame number.
              Then, remove the plate, powder coat the frame and have a witness (same one, maybe?) observe the re-mounting of the plate on the proper frame.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve!

It is a good advice, thank you! I will ask, and report to you all, what will be the ending of this little misery. In first days of march the frame will be painted, I can't wait!!!

Comment

German Word

Originally posted by gabos666 View Post
                  Hi all!

I am in the beginning of my 550 Katana's restoration. The tear down is nearly complete. I really want to powder coat the frame in textured black. My only concern is this little frame ID plate here:

I think is trouble to paint near the plate, and the powder can't fly under it hmmm... anybody find a solution for this? Is it OK, to not paint this little area, and paint the rest of the frame?? Will the paint chipping off because of this??

Thank you!

I have to keep it, because the records in the police, and government. I can't touch it!! If they realize that I am removed it, and after put it back, I am in big trouble...
                  Been trying to research the requirement for removal and replacement of the identi-plate but I don't know if you're allowed to do as Agemax suggests.

I did find this: http://www.suzukigtclub.nl/Suzuki_Rahmen1.pdf

And this: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/VIN

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I've never seen a VIN plate like that. All the GS's I've seen use a sticker, not a plate like that. What country are you in? Maybe the originating country required a riveted VIN plate? Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. Drilling out the rivets may render the ID invalid. I'd talk to your powder coat guy and ask if he can mask the area. There are special high temp tapes available for just such a purpose.
                  You're right, I checked mine and it is a sticker that is nearly peeled off.

I thought I recognized the German word: fahrgestell.

It means frame/chassis.

That's a good idea...just use the existing holes and re-rivet. Now, what happens to the end pieces that will jingle in the frame? Can they come out the neck of the frame? (I've never torn down a bike to the frame so that's why I ask)

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Europe has many funny laws.......there is paper work on just about everything....sometimes for good reason, other times it's just about knowing your business....

Comment

Sand blasting the frame and painting it is another option to be considered.

http://imageshack.us/f/38/img2505bq.jpg/ (caution it's a slow loading picture.)
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        Been trying to research the requirement for removal and replacement of the identi-plate but I don't know if you're allowed to do as Agemax suggests.

I did find this: http://www.suzukigtclub.nl/Suzuki_Rahmen1.pdf

And this: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/VIN

You're right, I checked mine and it is a sticker that is nearly peeled off.

I thought I recognized the German word: fahrgestell.

It means frame/chassis.

That's a good idea...just use the existing holes and re-rivet. Now, what happens to the end pieces that will jingle in the frame? Can they come out the neck of the frame? (I've never torn down a bike to the frame so that's why I ask

Ed
                        the frame would have to be completely stripped prior to powder coating, including the trees and head stock, so the neck would be "open". rivet the plate back on before reassembling the headstock....
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

With my fingertips I can feel the rivet ends from the inside of the neck. I have to make some hunting for informations. I will take some better pics...

Comment

You can use a piece of pipe down the neck to peen the rivets against.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Been There, Done That,,..

I've had the same issue, no problem.
                              Just put masking tape over the Tag.
                              Let the Operator Static Spray the Frame.
                              Then Peel Off the Tape before Cooking.
                              The Spray Operator can peel the tape Off when he's done, before it goes into Oven.
                              Leave a small extended edge of tape to grab for easy Peel Off.
                              Looks fine.
                              I've used the same Technique to have Aluminum Hubs Bead Blasted and Clear Coated at a Wheel Shop.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X