Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I up to the challenge - 1980 GS850G (picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I up to the challenge - 1980 GS850G (picture)

I have the opportunity to buy this 850G which is a rust and corrosion basket case.

Requires a ground up restoration.

Any thoughts?

Will it become a money pit?

Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

That's a $200 (US) bike and since you have an existing riding bike, you can take your time restoring it or possibly parting it out. It really depends on how much you have your heart set on it.

That exhaust pipe is transparent...you can see right through it! Good bike to learn how to do carb/engine rebuild...that's why I got my second "T".

Good luck on your decision. My personal thought on "money pit" is this: They're all going to cost you but...how much are you willing to pay and will you make time for her?

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

The bike appears to be relatively complete although the exhaust (or what is left of it) is toast.

Suface rust everywhere rending the fork tubes useless.

All rubbers and bearings would need to be replaced.

Instruments do not appear original - has proably been down the road at some time - hence the non original paint.

Brake calipers and M/C would require complete overhaul.

Condition of tank is unknown?

Original shocks and brakelines.

Seat has been recovered with a cheap non original cover.
      Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
      1974 Montesa 250
      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        That's a $200 (US) bike and since you have an existing riding bike, you can take your time restoring it or possibly parting it out. It really depends on how much you have your heart set on it.

That exhaust pipe is transparent...you can see right through it! Good bike to learn how to do carb/engine rebuild...that's why I got my second "T".

Good luck on your decision. My personal thought on "money pit" is this: They're all going to cost you but...how much are you willing to pay and will you make time for her?

Ed
        Thanks Ed - appreciate your thoughts.

Yes it would be a learning opportunity and I have the 1000G which isn't too dissimilar.
        Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
          The bike appears to be relatively complete although the exhaust (or what is left of it) is toast.

Suface rust everywhere rending the fork tubes useless.

All rubbers and bearings would need to be replaced.

Instruments do not appear original - has proably been down the road at some time - hence the non original paint.

Brake calipers and M/C would require complete overhaul.

Condition of tank is unknown?

Original shocks and brakelines.

Seat has been recovered with a cheap non original cover.
          The tank is not a G tank. The sticker on the side cover (which is broken) says "GS850S". If that's an intact S tank, it might be worth a little even though it would need painted.

Wrong and mismatched turn signals, too.

Anyhow, that is a project. Not something to be ridden soon. Far more than $1000 to get it on the road and reliable. Little more than a titled frame with maybe a few good parts on it. I wouldn't even take it as a parts bike, myself. What parts are still good are so common as to be worthless, with the possible exception of the tank that doesn't belong on it.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

She's for sure a money pit if you were to go ahead rebuild it.

BUT, those clocks (82?) fuel tank, front turn signals, headlight assembly, front master cylinder, side covers, air box and a few other pieces are MORE than worth the price of admission...

Plus, if it has the correct seat pan in good nick, that's a bonus right there!
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dogma and Rustybronco,

Good observations. Yes, it is relatively complete if not original. The big issues are the "unknowns" that may have been committed in the name of POs. No history available - so all the lack of maintenance issues.

Stripped threads, surgery on the wiring harness all could be possibilities.

The owner says "was running when I parked it" - LOL

This story goes on.
              Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
              1974 Montesa 250
              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, how much do they want for it?
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Happy to post if and when a deal is done.
                  Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                  1974 Montesa 250
                  1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

I know some of you guys can fix "ugly" for reasonable price. It's all the componenets you will need that would kill this deal for me.

I say it's a money pit. Find a running bike for a grand that someone has already done some of the costly items, such as brakes, tires, cables etc.

If that's the bike you had as a kid ( or any other personal reason) and your ok with putting in way more money than it will ever be worth, then go for it.......I have!! and don't regret it one bit.

Comment

I don't know what you think is unreasonalble? I bought my 81 GS850 for $200 and the total is about 1200 with the cost of bike. Seems pretty good to me, but bikes up here in Canada tend to cost more anyways so i guess it's relative. I say do it, the fixing part is half the fun.

Comment

I wonder how many people come out ahead financially on old bikes? I have a couple of times if you don't count the labor. If that bike dings your dong, and you got the tools and space, why not? I have started out with worse as many have.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          The bike started at $550 on Aussie EBay and went for the 1 and only bid. The seller posted he had 100 watching.

I was interested but not at that price. Pick up costs would have been a four hour round trip and $50 for fuel.

I have a spare 4 into 1 exhaust and various other bits from my 1000G.

However $1500 - 2000 to get a machine like that safe and roadworthy

I am thinking of preparing a spare set of body work and tank for an optional look.

Back to the Kawasaki in the interim.
                          Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                          1974 Montesa 250
                          1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Was looking at the same bike, Did you end up getting it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mightypns View Post
                              Was looking at the same bike, Did you end up getting it?

No. I was not prepared to go to his starting price.
                              Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                              1974 Montesa 250
                              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...
                              X