Engine badges...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine badges...

I've searched 12 different ways and can't find this.

What is the best way to install new engine badges? I bought new ones and I don't think I like the idea of just peel and stick application with these. I'm thinking some gorilla snot (3m trim and weather stripping adhesive)?

Any input is appreciated.
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

The peel and stick is good adhesive. You can add to it if it makes you feel better. Contact cement is basically all it is with a waxed release liner.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I havent messed with mine, but I can tell by the scratches across them that whatever suzuki used to hold em on there, has done a hell of a job for 30+ years.

If they still use the same, or even updated/upgraded adhesive I'd say you'll be just fine as is.

I don't recall ever reading a "my new engine covers flew off on the highway" thread, lol.

Comment

I did add some Gorilla glue to mine, just to fill any air pockets but I think the tape is good enough.
        No signature

Comment

Hmmm, thanks Trevor. Eric suggested the same.
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

the adhesive on there is good enough to hold them for 30 odd years so stick them on as they are. just make sure the surface on the cover is spotless clean, free from old adhesive and just rough them up slightly with a bit of emery for a good key.

they will be good for another 30 years
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Where did you get your engine badges from?

Comment

Bikebandit. They are OE from Suzuki.
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

Comment

'83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

Comment

Agemax is spot on about the adhesive. It's good. I've replaced the emblems on more than a couple of GSs and all that was needed was to clean the mounting spot really really well with lacquer thinner or acetone.

Comment

Those are nice lookng badges, similar to what I need except mine being an 8 valve, should say TDCC not TSCC..
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Got mine at boulevard Suzuki, $11.49 each.
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          Got mine at boulevard Suzuki, $11.49 each.
                          Trevor, did you get the emblems with the black background and silver raised letters or silver background with gold lettering?
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            Those are nice lookng badges, similar to what I need except mine being an 8 valve, should say TDCC not TSCC..
                            Yours should say DOHC.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              Yours should say DOHC.
                              I wish that were the case, because I wouldn't have to keep looking. The parts suppliers seem to only have access to the generic Suzuki badges

The 83 650G and GL have unique badges that, as far as I can tell, only exist on those two models. Keeping within the same styling element, they also had the engine painted black.

Here is a picture of my stator cover:

and the not so great timing cover:

On the plus side, that factory glue must be some strong!
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X