Painting Problems with Oven Curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Problems with Oven Curing

I'm trying out some engine paints. I want to decide on a paint to use on the engine and all the black part. Then I can show the powder coating guys the exact shade and satin type finish I want so that they all match up.

I painted this caliper with VHT white undercoat and then a satin black top coat caliper paint. I waited for the wife to go shopping and cooked it for 30 minutes at 200 deg C.

but it bubbled up on me on the flat machined surfaces. The white undercoat was not affected.

I am wondering if I should have cured the white undercoat before spraying the satin black.

Other than that, I really like the finish it gives. It became more satin through the curing process and is almost like the 35 year old part from my bike. LHS is painted one. RHS is the old bike part.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

i use the same VHT paint on my exhaust, always used it. i have never used the undercoat.just made sure the surface was spotless clean but roughed slightly.
    run over it with a hot air gun,(not your hairdryer,(or your wifes!)) which gives it a sort of pre harden(!). then cure it properly on the running bike.
    never had a problem with it flaking or not adhering properly.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

A guess at what happened:
      The undercoat hadn't dried/cured enough before the topcoat was applied, effectively trapping in moisture... which had to find a way out during the oven cure stage... resulting in the bubbling.
      '80 GS1000ST
      '92 ZX-11
      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Per VHT

See how VHT FlameProof? Coating can renew and extend the life of any surface exposed to extremely high temperatures.

Off the Vehicle

Paint must be completely dry before curing
        Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
        Cool for 30 minutes
        Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
        Cool for 30 minutes
        Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes
        Caution: Do not exceed the temperature of the least heat tolerant component or the base metal
        This easy to apply spray paint dries quickly and is remarkably resistant. Learn more about how it?s been specifically designed for the custom detailing of brake components.

Bake at 200°F (93°C) for 1 hour.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I've used the black on brake parts with only a well curred coat of zinc chromate primer underneath. Never had an issue.

I'd say its definately the undercoat causing the issue.

Comment

Looks like top layer flashed too fast over it all and trapped in solvents that gassed out.

Paint was not completely dry before you gave it the heat.

Comment

Working...
            X