Problems stripping paint from carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems stripping paint from carbs

I attempted to strip the paint off my carbs tonight but could not get to all of it with my scraper. I'd already dipped the carbs last week but even my Berryman's didn't get everything off of them. So now I'm at a loss at how to finish the job. Would just boiling them remove whatever is left or should I dip them again in maybe some fresh Berryman's?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

How are you stripping the paint off? mechanically or chemically?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Chemically using the aircraft stripper in the blue can

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Use the aircraft stripper again, but this time use a lot and put the whole thing in a ziplock bag so it doesn't evaporate. It should stay on there long enough to do some good.

This works with regular paint remover anyway.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Tom, will try that tomorrow or Tuesday evening since everything is over at the other garage.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You might want to watch the bag in case the stripper eats it. Aluminum foil works too.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Find yourself one of those small plastic handled brass wire brushes. That should 'help' get into all the little nooks and crannies. Yes, the stripper will eat away at the handle...
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

boiling water w/ simple green works too

Comment

Tried to throw some more stripper on today and even with the brass wire brush things aren't coming very clean in the grooves that I couldn't reach. I'm going to try to dip them again in the Berrymans and if that doesn't work maybe some brake fluid/cleaner. I'll also try boiling them too if that works.

If I make sure I plug up the holes, could I use a sandblaster on them?

Here are the pictures of what I have left if anyone has any better ideas. These are only one side of each carb but the other sides look just as bad

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I went thru this process with a black set. The only thing that finally took the paint off was soda blasting them, worked really well to take off the paint the Berrymans would not.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'll do some research then on how to do that. I was told today that Harbor Freight sells some stuff but when I look at their "conversion kit" I don't understand how it works. Would I just be smarter to spend the $100 on a small soda blaster device?
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I would just buy the soda blaster from harbor. I have the 15lbs unit and it works great!!! Best money spent IMHO I have done some carbs and and the outside of an engine and they turned out very nice and best of all its Eco friendly BTW make sure you print out a 20% off coupon off the net

Comment

I just use this. Works great with my compressor that only goes up to somewhere around 4-5 cfmi. I run it between 70-100 psi depending on what I'm doing.

Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Geesh!! You guys are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Just use Acetone available in a can at Walmart or most other auto outlets. Just brush it on & keep the surface wet until the paint bubbles, then use a small paint brush to slough the paint off. Gets into all the nooks & cranies too.

I've been using it for years.
                            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Thanks guys. I actually went through this a couple of nights ago and posted the following in my project thread:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

My gun setup:

Soda:

Outdoor blasting booth:

Carbs:

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X