speedo & tach cable routing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo & tach cable routing issues

Having some routing issues since replacing my broken OEM gauges with some basic mini gauges. I mounted them to the two holes on the top tree where the cluster bracket originally mounted. Doing this lowered the positioning of where the cables screw into the back of the gauges, causing them to mash up against the back on the headlight bucket. They seem to have too much bend to turn properly and I'm not surprised my tach is a bit slow and the speedo isn't moving much.

I have a few options, but not sure what is best.

1) I could bend each gauge's mounting brackets downward so that the cables have more a straight down route. Then my gauges are looking up at the sky and I'm not really liking that.

2) Fab a new bracket to reposition them.

3) Switch to a longer ears, moving the headlight forward a bit and giving cables more room.

A speedo cable must be able to bend slightly, but I'm not sure of how much bend is normal and when the bend starts to really affect the rotation of the cable inside. I should probably lube them as well. I also feel like I have too much length on the speedo cable now...

Where did those cables come from? Are they OEM? The crimped metal parts look really long.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Raise them up a little...

Just use your imagination ...
      Go to a local hardware store (Ace, True Value) and look for a coupling nut....
      Use that above the bracket and find the right size bolt for the bottom side...

Coupling nuts --

Comment

They were on the bike from the PO.

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Where did those cables come from? Are they OEM? The crimped metal parts look really long.

Comment

You're talking using them here, correct?

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
          Just use your imagination ...
          Go to a local hardware store (Ace, True Value) and look for a coupling nut....
          Use that above the bracket and find the right size bolt for the bottom side...

Coupling nuts --

Comment

G, what was the issue with your original gauges?

Most likely they can be repaired.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Needles broken, fading, one was cracked. I didn't care for the size of them either. So I switched.

Comment

I'll try the coupling nuts.

I think you are right Eil. Maybe the PO swapped out speedo cables, because that doesn't look stock at all.

Comment

Tried coupling nuts to raise the speedo and tach. They have plenty of clearance now. Still no speedo activity. I'll take off the cable and inspect one more time. Then if it doesn't work I'll order a new one. I should go OEM on the cable, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X