How Much Paint Do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Paint Do I need?

I'm going to rattle can my 81 1100 with 1 -2 coats of primer, 2 - 3 coats of base (dark blue), and 2 - 3 coats of 2k clear. How much paint do you think I need? I'll be using 12 oz cans from Automotive Touch Up, and they say you can expect 3 -5 sq feet of coverage per can. The 81 1100 has a lot of body parts - headlight bucket, tail piece, 2 side covers, 2 small pieces between the side covers and the tail, front fender, and gas tank. I want to make sure I don't under buy, or over buy.

I would check with them and ask if they will take any unused paint back. Some places will agree to do that (at least the one here in Dayton did for me).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Always better to have a bit more then you think you need for re-doing mistakes or for future touch ups. Sucks to get into it and run out.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Let us know when your results are in. Also post pics of the job. Good luck.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Not sure how much it relates to rattle can jobs but it took me a pint of each paint and clear coat to do my entire GS1000. I had to purchase a quart as a minimum size and still have enough to do the entire bike again. That's two coats of primer, two coats of base coat and 2 coats of clear. I think my spray system is more efficient then rattle can though.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Get more than you need, sometimes the last dregs from a can will splatter and drip. Better to switch to a new can before you get to that point. You can take it back if you don't use it, but keep one can for touch ups (nothing attracts damage like a new paint job) The primer will always be good for something, as will the clear. The base color you can use on your matching lawn mower or mailbox or just do some sweet graffiti on your local PD precinct or something.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

One other small note. On each can there will be a batch number. Make sure you get them from the same batch. In most cases it doesn't matter, but I have seen cans with slightly different shades with the same brand/color name but different batches.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have done a lot of paint, here is my take. Not all primers and paints are compatible. I have seen that problem, and it can be huge with spray can type paints, way more than automotive type paint. For years lacquer (not hardly available anymore) was used for the base primer. Then either lacquer top coats or enamel top coats can be used. If you use an enamel primer there can be certain recoat, or top coat spray on time limits. What can happen is if you wait too long for the top coat, it will attack the primer base. Make sure you use compatible base coats and top coats, and watch out for recoat times.

4 rattle cans of color coat should be enough. Actually 3 should do 4 should keep you out of trouble. Go buy some $1 cans of spray paint from Walmart and practice on your lawn furniture, or other things like an old fender or hood. Paint like a robot, steady speed, slight overlap on each coat. Dont spray here and there, it makes for random thickness. If you get a $16 paint gun from HF Tools you can buy the paint in quarts, and get better quality paint. 4 quarts will paint a car, so a quart is a lot. The trick would be finding some old school automotive acrylic enamel, the stuff will shine so good you will need sunglasses if it is sprayed on just right. If you go rattle can you can get some catalyzed clear coat in a spray can for the topcoat. There is a button on the bottom of the can you push, the catalyst is injected into the can, shake it and go. It will harden in the can if you don't use it soon enough. Catalyzed clear coat will hold up to gas spills on the tank. To find the stuff search the net for "catalyzed clear coat spray can" lots of different brands will pop up. By the way that HF Spray gun works great, I have used them a lot. One last thing, dont paint it on a super hot day, especially in the sun. Or it will look like sand paper. You have to put enough paint on it where it flows out and forms a gloss. The trick is to spray it on thick enough, in several thin coats, where it glosses out. You have to get enough paint on it where it glosses over, but not enough paint where it will run. Other than the surface prep, that is the main "art" to painting. And use 320 to 400 grit sand paper for the last sanding before paint.
                Last edited by metalfab; 07-26-2015, 09:06 PM.
                1981 GS1100E
                1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

+1 on the practice spraying, get the use of a good pattern down. Mailboxes, the garage fridge, bicycles, the wife's dishwasher, anything. +1 on the cheap spray gun. I use a HF touch up gun for bikes, no need for anything bigger. I have even used Duplicolor Paint Shop paint in quart cans, about $20, no mixing required, no catalysts or anything. A quart is way more than enough. Very easy to shoot, easy to work with. Shoot a good clear coat over it, it looks great and should hold up as well as any 2 part urethane clear. Your 2K clear should be fine.

This is the Duplicolor Paint Shop:

Comment

-1 on the H.F. gun.

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If hes talking about rattle cans I am thinking his supplier does it like the guys here in OKC. They mix it right there and then they out it in a machine that pressurizes and seals it in the rattle cans.

Same quality paint that anyone would normally run thru a gun but now its canned. If done right it works awesome and is every bit as durable and workable as if it was done via a spray gun.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        I have done about 6 bikes with it, and some other stuff. It works well, a lot better than the old Craftsman one that costs $80 or so.

Comment

Tom, you've used that particular model? It wasn't all that good laying out metallic's.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes .

Comment

I have a $25 gravity feed gun (HF or Northern tool can't remember), and a $300 DeVilbiss gravity feed gun. No matter what gun you buy, you will have to fiddle and adjust it with each type of paint you put through it. My DeVilbiss adjusts a little easier than the cheap one, but both of them will lay out a beautiful coat.

However, When I painted my current bike, I went the Dupicolor automotive rattle can, and the 2K clear. Cheaper and VERY easy. I think I'm at 3 years now and it still looks like I did it yesterday. I still haven't (and won't) wet sand and buff it. Has a near mirror finish, better that a new car from the factory.

Do yourself a big favor. Get a roll of visqueen (sp?) and make up a "paint booth" in the corner of your garage. If your floor is dusty wet it down in that area before spraying. Don't have any doors open, and not fans on. I took a 2x4 and made up a stand for my tank to sit up off the table about a foot, so I could get at all angle easier.

Other than that, definitely practice on other surfaces to get the feel of how everything is gonna lay out... You KNOW your mailbox needs a cool paint job, lol...

GOOD LUCK! and post pictures of the WHOLE process!
                              '83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                              X