Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help identify this Triple Tree Clamp

Hey Guys,

Its looking like I need some guidance once again. I have a 1980 GS550E. It was knocked over and the top triple tree got a small hairline crack or two in it. So, I purchased a new 1980 GS550E top triple tree off of ebay to replace it. I trimmed and polished the new clamp, putting a number of hours into it. Now that I put it next to the current triple tree on my bike, I have noticed that it looks different. Previously I had noticed that the gauge tabs are at a different height, but did not worry about it as I thought maybe it was a slightly different version. Now that I actually put them next to each other, I see that the curvature is completely different. Needless to say, I am bummed. I would have compared earlier but my bike is not easily accessible and I did all of the polishing work from my apartment. So, now the questions: Will this top triple tree clamp work? What is the difference here in models? I have researched more GS550E triple trees and got back the same type of clamp. Maybe mine was replaced? I cant imagine since I got it mostly stock with little miles and a clean title. How should i proceed?

Thanks guys for your time.

OLD TRIPLE TREE

COMPARISON TO NEW

WHAT THE NEW LOOKED LIKE INITIALLY

Why not have the original welded and smooth it off and then repaint it????
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Why not have the original welded and smooth it off and then repaint it????
      I decided to go this route for a few reasons. Most importantly, I thought this would be the easiest route. The clamp cost $18 shipped and allowed for me to go ahead and work on it without having my bike in pieces. I live in an apartment complex with a shared garage, so i cant really afford for my bike to be in pieces for more than a couple days. I think paying to have mine welded would be more expensive than the $18 and I wouldnt trust it as much as an unbroken one.

So, after researching more, it looks like my clamps are from the 1977-79 model. The clamp that I polished is from the 1980 model, where they changed the style. Maybe my bike was just a 1st generation 1980 before the change or something like that. I think what I will end up doing is selling this one, then buying a new one off of ebay that matches my old one, and refinishing it. Basically I will be doing 5 hours of extra labor because I didnt look at my clamp close enough before purchasing it. One change may be that I will paint the next one black like you questioned. Polishing looks cool, but it took a long time.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshots1 View Post
        I decided to go this route for a few reasons.
        If it was cracked, it had to have gotten bent.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          If it was cracked, it had to have gotten bent.

Yea I was kinda thinking the same thing. Either way, I think it was an easy decision to get a new clamp. Bummer that it was the wrong design. I will buy a new one on eBay and this time check it before spending the time and effort on it.

Comment

Working...
          X