Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 82-83 1100 e stuff work on my 81 1100 e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 82-83 1100 e stuff work on my 81 1100 e?

I like the looks much better on the 82 and 83 1100 e so I was wondering if things like the seat, tank, etc are direct bolt ons. Also, is there an easy conversion to gauges with better than 85 mph speedo? Thanks!

Re: Will 82-83 1100 e stuff work on my 81 1100 e?

Originally posted by Tommyboy
    I like the looks much better on the 82 and 83 1100 e so I was wondering if things like the seat, tank, etc are direct bolt ons. Also, is there an easy conversion to gauges with better than 85 mph speedo? Thanks!
    I've never seen an 81 model in person, so I'm hardly an authority. I'm going to lean against it.

See the GS1100 lineage here: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX1100E.shtml

I do, however, have a solution to the 85 MPH speedo though. I have an 82, also with the slow speedo. I fitted a SIMGA SPORT BC 1200 bicycle computer onto my 1100. It required the extended cable package. I started with the BC 800 but lost it (only to find it a week ago). When I had to replace it I decided that the extra features were worth a couple more bucks. The BC 1200 cost $22 I think, and the extended cable package was $8.

I think there is one big drawback to the SIGMA SPORT bike computers. They ship with several o-rings, which you are supposed to wrap around your handlebar and clip to either side of the mounting unit. I found that the medium size is too small, and the biggest is too large. I used the medium and it eventually tore apart the mounting unit and the computer's housing. I got free replacements and got a different o-ring from Lowe's. It's degrading though... The new o-ring doesn't stand up to the weather. Anyway, that might be something to watch out for if you get a BC.

Good luck!

Michael

Comment

See if someone up here in Canuk land can help you. It will be in Km's but the top out is 240 kph or 140 mph. I don't have a spare so I can't help you.

Comment

will 82-83 1100E stuff work on my 81 1100E?

I have an 82 1100E . I was looking for an 80-81 when I bought it. If you figure out that everything is interchangable- let me know , I'll trade ya!

Comment

I used a gauge set off of a 78 GS850 I believe. I got it off Ebay cheap. It bolted right up and took some rewiring to get the lights to work. I like the way it looks with the two pods rather than the sguare look of the original. It has been a few years ago and I can't recall what wires I had to change. I know it was very easy though.

Comment

I did some more looking and it appears that the newer style bodywork will not work on my frame. Still wondering about newer gauges. Do the 82-85 gs bikes have the same type of info center? I know they look different but was wondering if wiring is somewhat compatible. GS 1150 have a higher mph indicated so maybe they work?

Comment

will 82-831100E stuff workon my 81 1100E

Its my understanding that Suzuki had a habit of changing wiring design
              on almost all models EVERY YEAR .at least though the 70's and 80's .. I learned this a few years ago when I had a 78 1000E and had a HARD time finding the corect wiring harness at the junkyard ... . You could check out GSXR guages,,,,, of course theres the wheel size issue- hmmmm maby thers a way to corect the difrence ??? , food for thought anyway.
              anything is possible if you dig enough.........

I like the idea of a digital bicycle speedo,. I think I'm gonna try that.

Comment

will 82-83 1100E stuff work on my 81 1100E?

OH YA , 1150's have a 16 inch front wheel .. it would be off calibration the same as using GSXR stuff.

Comment

Re: Will 82-83 1100 e stuff work on my 81 1100 e?

Originally posted by Tommyboy
                  I'm of the same opinion, but I think what most people don't like about the 80-81s is the headlight/gauges "pod-thing" they put on the front. One thing I have been considering doing to my 81- I had an 82 gs 750e back in high school and I always really liked the looks of it- it had the same basic bodywork as the 81 but had the gauge cluster/ round headlight and front fender of the 82-83. I figure if Suzuki can swap parts at the factory a lot of this stuff has got to be interchangeable.

Comment

I have an '82 1100 and it has an 85mph speedo too. But when I bought it, one of the previous owners - probably the original one- had put a clear sticker on the tachometer that shows the MPH in top gear corresponding to the RPMs.... and it goes all the way up past redline. A nice feature! And it is accurate, too.... within 1 MPH or so against the speedo, so it must have been printed for this specific make & model's gear ratio. The brand name is JCA but it has a "(c) 1982" on it so I don't know if something like it is out there any more . I tried some googleing and had no luck.

This has served me well when I was far from home and the speedo cable broke, and also served as a cross-check when my clutch was slipping. Of course, I have NEVER used it to confirm a >85mph speed, since I am a proper, law-abiding citizen....

Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X