Header Paint Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header Paint Choice?

In my ongoing cosmetic refurbishment of my 1100E I am up to the point of wanting to paint my header and tail pipe. It is a Kerker 4-1 canister system that was black from the factory and I want to make it black again. I will sandblast as prep but don't know what paint choice I should be looking at. I have seen more posts saying XYZ paint is no good than ones that recommend one as actually working well. So, do I use header paint, barbeque paint, Rustoleum stove paint or something else?

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

I used VHT flame proof heaDer paint.

I media blasted the header and mid pipe. Wiped it down with acetone and used the high temperature primer and sprayed it black. Don't really care for the result. Paint was really fragile and on installation, I got quite a few Knicks. I heat cycled it as per the directions, but still had some flaking. End result was not very appealing with a mat light black finish.

I'm going to get it done right and have it ceramic coated.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post

I media blasted the header and mid pipe. Wiped it down with acetone and used the high temperature primer and sprayed it black. Don't really care for the result. Paint was really fragile and on installation, I got quite a few Knicks. I heat cycled it as per the directions, but still had some flaking. End result was not very appealing with a mat light black finish.

Nic
      This is my problem, I see lots of complaints about various types/brands of paints but very few mentions of what does work well. FWIW, I just used VHT caliper and wheel paint on my 1100E wheels and I am unimpressed with its toughness. I think I will be staying away from all of the VHT products from now on.

Does anybody have a rattle can header paint they actually liked?

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post

Nic
        Same results with the VHT silver. Finish turned a light gray when it got hot.
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I have a Kerker 4 into 1 as well. I just scratch at the pipe with a wire brush, then liberally apply Tremclad High Heat Gloss Black. I use a light spray, but put on many coats. It is an annual chore for me, I don't put that many km's on the bike usually. If you were going to do high miles per year, I suspect you may have to paint it more than once per season.
          IBA# 12860
          Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
          1984 KZ1100R
          2008 Kawasaki KLR650
          2011 Concours 1400

Comment

What would be an average price for having them ceramic coated? Sounds like the best solution if the price isn't too big a hurdle.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

John Deere make an excellent heat proof paint.It's expensive to buy but that's probably because it works so well.I've never had a good result using VHT.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                What would be an average price for having them ceramic coated? Sounds like the best solution if the price isn't too big a hurdle.
                $250 fully sandblasted and coated my Kerker 4-1 in ceramic of my color choice. Beats all the paints I ever tried. An original Kerker pipe is sure worth keeping up.

Comment

My Yoshimura will be going to Jet-Hot this fall. Well worth it.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah, it's my Yosh too. I took the temporary cheap rout.

Been quoted right around 200 for prep and coating from a local company.

Nic
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I've had good results with VHT but only when you use a clear coat (satin or gloss) to finish it off. It's the clear coat that makes is durable.

Most paint jobs using any brand of paint fail because they are not prepared correctly in the first place. Surfaces need to be spotlessly clean and grease free. I always bake smaller items in the oven to get the oil out of the pores. then de-grease again then use a primer. That's after you have roughed up the surface with some form of blasting or grit to give the pain a key.
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        This is my problem, I see lots of complaints about various types/brands of paints but very few mentions of what does work well. FWIW, I just used VHT caliper and wheel paint on my 1100E wheels and I am unimpressed with its toughness. I think I will be staying away from all of the VHT products from now on.

Does anybody have a rattle can header paint they actually liked?

Mark
                        "actually liked"? I "like" barbecue paint because it's ez and can go on with a brush. I "like" the more expensive vht because it looks blacker everywhere except close to the engine where it cooks to a lighter flat grey....or chips off
                        I accept the impossibility of me doing it once , properly and forever with a rattle can,in the back yard and don't mind patching it up in 6 months when it's an eyesore- at least the pipes are still good so I think I'm helping them live longer

but it sounds like you probably should do them right.

Comment

I used VHT on the Yosh pipe for my GS1000S with great results. No chipping, no fading, and after 5 years it still looks great. Not sure why so many have had problems with it.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            "actually liked"? I "like" barbecue paint because it's ez and can go on with a brush. I "like" the more expensive vht because it looks blacker everywhere except close to the engine where it cooks to a lighter flat grey....or chips off
                            OK, instead 'liked', how about I ask if anybody has a paint that they were happy with? I don't expect ceramic coating type of results from rattle can paint, but it would be nice to know if there were some choices out there that offer a decent value and work as advertised.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

OK, instead 'liked', how about I ask if anybody has a paint that they were happy with? I don't expect ceramic coating type of results from rattle can paint, but it would be nice to know if there were some choices out there that offer a decent value and work as advertised.

Mark
                              I've been trying to avoid paint (other than clearcoat) on my current bike.
                              So I've been daydreaming some about gun metal finishes. Thinking there's a few that should be heat resistant enough even for headers.

-Actually there IS a "rattle-can"spray on Ceramic Coat EXAMPLE Hmmm...

-There's also "Parkerizing" which leaves sort of boring usually gray finish (like the old GI 1911's for ex.)
                              PRICEY EXAMPLE but it's whole gallon

-My latest favorite Black Oxide HERE at Caswell , That'd be a good source since they sell two part epoxy tank liner, etc. and HERE's a random jug + sizes.

I'll probably check out the black oxide in wikipedia later too. Seems like the process that's happening when I spray "rust restorer" on my truck underparts, this can was $5 something at harbor freight and weird spray stuff to use, I expected it to be black but it is or whatever color. Not for header but thinking of flash rusting the gas tank with muriatic acid (the works $!) then blackening it. Usually rust remover/paints that crystalizes contains phosphoric acid as active ingredient...Gun blueing is at sporting goods for $10 and always wanted a blued gas tank but I'm getting off-topic.
                              (Those are links I got in like two minutes BTW, just random and looked OK for examples...worth study IMO).

Comment

Working...
                              X