3 lean plugs, 1 black plug....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve.

The general consensus among those who have rejetted BS carbs is that the adjustable needle is a must have, and that appears to only be availble in a kit

You're correct in that many have successfully run pods and pipe on their BS equipped bikes. Most have long tales of getting the jetting to work correctly.

Others have just gotten ****ed off and went back to the stock airbox

BTW, jets are much cheaper at www.jetsrus.com

Keep us posted on your progress

On your clutch, the fiber plates may be glazed. Pull them out, measure them and scuff them with sandpaper on a piece of glass and reinstall. Your springs may also have worn out after 30 years. I know ,such cheap stuff the Japanese make!
    Last edited by Big T; 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

We'll just have to see how it goes then. I bought this bike with the intention of turning it into a cafe/naked bike, not keeping the silly stock crap.

I know about jetsrus, however it isn't really cheaper after you pay the 7.50 shipping and then have to wait how many ever days it takes to get your jets. I can get OE jets at dealership for 2.75 each and have them in my hands immediately.

As for the needles... Is it just that they are adjustable or is the needle taper actually different as well?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
        As for the needles... Is it just that they are adjustable or is the needle taper actually different as well?

Yes, the taper is different.

And I still suspect that your petcock is bad. Just because it doesn't leak sitting on the bench doesn't mean anything. All it takes is a microscopic leak under vacuum to foul the #2 plug.

Might as well get the jetting in the ballpark before riding some more, but I bet if you disconnect and block off the vacuum port and then ride around for a bit with the petcock on "prime", you'll find that the #2 plug suddenly matches the others.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

when you say it's black... sooty black or oiled up black?

Comment

Eff me running... I took the right most carb slide out and there was all ready a .5mm washer shimming the needle... The PO must have put it there. Since I don't feel like yankin the gas tank off just yet (Because the custom seat pan I made is a PITA to get off with the stock air filter box on), I'm just going to experiment with shimming the needle on that carb until I get a good plug color and then I know what I'll need for the other carbs and then I can work on the jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
              I'm just going to experiment with shimming the needle on that carb until I get a good plug color and then I know what I'll need for the other carbs and then I can work on the jetting.
              Really? how is that going to fix the over rich condition showing up in cylinder #2 ?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm not screwing with cyl 2 right now, just the lean cylinders. I shimmed the needle of one of the lean cylinders with 3 .5mm shims and took the bike out for a run and the plug color didn't change at all. Looks like I'll need larger jets.

Comment

I know I'm a noob and I honestly don't know what I'm fully talking about with this stuff yet. However, I don't undertand why you would have to shim the needle to adjust the leanness. Isn't that just a matter of turning the air needle one way or the other? What does shimming it give you that adjusting it doesn't?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    I know I'm a noob and I honestly don't know what I'm fully talking about with this stuff yet. However, I don't undertand why you would have to shim the needle to adjust the leanness. Isn't that just a matter of turning the air needle one way or the other? What does shimming it give you that adjusting it doesn't?
                    There are four major circuits in a carburetor. first is the enrichment circuit, commonly known as a "choke".

second is the low speed circuit, commonly known as the idle circuit. the idle circuit generally covers the throttle positions from from idle to 1/4 throttle. the air adjustment you talk about on later BS series carburetors is really a fuel flow adjustment, used in combination with a fixed air jet which is preselected by the carburetor manufacturer. although, on the early VM series carburetors, the idle air "jet" is a passage in the carburetor which uses a screw to effectively vary the diameter of the passage and it also, like the BS series, uses a fuel adjustment screw.

next is the mid range circuit, or part throttle circuit which covers throttle openings from 1/4 to 3/4 open. the fuel supplied in this circuit is governed by the needle diameter and the taper of the needle inside of the "jet, needle" at a given needle height. if you raise the needle either with the throttle, or by moving the needle higher i.e. shimming the needle, your are effectively creating a larger passage which will provide more fuel to the circuit.

lastly there is the main jet which supplies the fuel needed for proper operation from 3/4 to full open throttle...
                    Last edited by rustybronco; 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM. Reason: removed emulsion tube info
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ok, so I went to dealership today and I got a 102.5 main jet and a 107.5. I put the 102.5 in to the outer most right carb, which I think is cyl 4, right? Anyway, I went for a ride (about 10mi) and came back and pulled the plug... It looked the same. Still white. I even have the needle shimmed up by 1.5mm.

So, do I need to go higher in the jet size? Or is this being caused by something else instead? Tomorrow I'm going to put the 107.5 in and go for another ride.

Interestingly enough, I looked up an 82 GS550M (AKA, Katana) and in the parts fiche it says the main jet is a 92.5... Same as what was in my 80 550E. It even shows the same part number for the needle jet. The reason I bring this up is because the exhaust system I am using is for the 82 GS550M. So if the exhaust flows that much better, than they would have used a larger jet...

*The air jet and the pilot jet are also the same between the two bikes.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Steve,

With pods and a "stock" exhaust you should be at a 100-102.5 main jet.

No change in color or performance?

Sounds like you have some serious intake leaks
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The pods aren't on yet, just the stock intake.

You may be right about the intake leaks. However, the bike idles perfectly steady and rides smooth. What I'm not sure about is why three of the cylinders are showing the same lean condition (Never mind cyl 2 looking very rich for right now).

Tomorrow I am going to rip the carbs off, give them a good looking over, put 102.5 mains in across all 4 carbs with 1 .5mm shim on each jet needle and then put new o-rings on all the intake boots. I'm also going to check the petcock and try to resolve the "rich" mixture issue on cyl 2.

Now those air mixture screws, I should turn those all the way in and then back them out 2.5 turns?

This should give me a good starting point. Since things are fubar right now, I might as well just rip it down and start fresh with my final setup, which is installing the pod filters and new o-rings.

**Also, concerning intake leaks with the stock air box setup... If it was an issue with the stock air box not being sealed up tightly, then the one 102.5 main jet I installed along with the 1.5mm needle shim should have made that cylinder show up rich.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

YES, lightly seated with the air screws and then backed out 2.5 turns.

Are you doing WOT plug chops to determine plug color? I've only seen you mention the main jet sizing, so I'm a little confuzzzzzed.

Needle shim will help the midrange and do nothing for the WOT, though I'm sure you already know that.

Comment

Yes, I all ready know the purpose/job of the needle. I haven't been doing WOT plug chops because I've just been cruising around at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle (Where most of my riding is done at)... And even with the needle shimmed up 1.5mm, I've seen no difference in the plug color. Perhaps it needs to be shimmed higher?

Comment

Sorry...I don't know what you already know.

Sounds like you have this well under control.

Comment

Working...
                                X