funny story leads to question..help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny story leads to question..help me out

first of all let me just start by saying that "I am a proud owner of a Suzuki gs650gl." there.....now i found a 1982 Yamaha virago 920 for 300 bucks. the guy said he used to drive it all the time and it ran great, until he let it sit for 2 years..He tried putting fresh gas in her and bought her a new battery but he still couldn't get it started for that's why i got it so cheap..the bike is in awesome shape...so i took it home and cleaned the carbs to the best of my knowledge (except a 2 jets in one of the carbs cause i couldn't get them out cause i was stripping them) and put the carbs back in..i tried to fire her up and nothing was happening..she tried to turn over but the battery was charged wrong or something..so then i took off the air box ( something i should have done first) and of course there were acorns and parts of the filter missing. so i sprayed starter fluid in there and she fired right up and i just opened the throttle right up....so there she is revving high when i notices mice nest and all sorts of **** shooting outta the tail pipes like 30 feet...once i believe it was all out i tried to let her run but she wont stay ideal-ling..if i keep giving it throttle she run but once she ideals she stalls..so then i decided to get her on the road to test her out and get some fresh gas through her and maybe it will clean what i didn't get and shell ideal...that didn't work either..still wanted to die but if i was ripping those gears or just cruise she had the power as soon as i pull in that clutch shell die..also there was popping coming outta the exhaust...what do u think the issue is....wow and that's all

The issue with that bike is the same issue that plagues all the GSs that are rescued.

CLEAN THE CARBS.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you put the airbox back on? Sounds like it's running lean to start but also sound like you need to tear those carbs apart properly & replace any O rings / seals but in the carbs & where the carbs attach to the engine.
      Make sure the airbox gets a good seal on the other side.

Lastly the carbs probably want tuning (balancing) & the idle stop setting up etc but your issue is bigger than just this, that's the last stage.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When Steve says "Clean the carbs" I believe he means "Rebuild the carbs". It should have CV carbs very similar to the ones in the CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide on BassCliff's website. You will have to figure out the O-rings, as they will most likely be different. I just went through this with my GPz carbs. They are slightly different from the GS carbs, but similar enough that I could use the Guide and all I had to do was figure out the o-ring sizes and order them from mcmaster-carr.
        Please note: this is not optional, it is mandatory.

Comment

What everyone else said!

I would also reiterate that the airbox and a filter are not optional. Once you evict the rodents and destroy their happy homes (and fix whatever they've dined on in there) you'll need to replace the air filter and make sure it's all sealed.

Motorcycles all pretty much work the same way, so your GS skills are applicable here.

There's probably a Virago forum out there as well.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Fuel levels are "very" critical on your 920 Virago. also it must have a sealed air box with the proper air filter installed, the air cleaner/carb boots must seal tightly, no exhaust leaks, the m.c.v. must not leak and also work properly or the idle will hang and (or) it will pop on deceleration, nor will it tolerate leaking carb adapter o-rings.

they're a pain in the butt to get working correctly... ask me how I know.

I have a pdf copy of the shop manual if you require it.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I think those had Hitachi carbs like my 650 Seca, but I'm not sure. They are still the same as Mikuni pretty much. Yours have clogged pilot circuits at the very least, like all bikes that sit too long. Its not that big of a deal.

Dir you have to perform mouse to mouse resuscitation?
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
              X