No announcement yet.

Two bikes, two different problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't need to be lubricated, they need to be CLEANED.

The gunk that is making things stick needs to be removed by cleaning.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
      Ok, I have the vacuum hose from the petcock to carb three, and the petcock is working fine, supplying fuel so that seems right to me. The other two are blocked off.
      The other two nipples need to be open to atmospheric pressure. either through a vent hose, vent hose and filters or left unconnected.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ok! Today I fiddled with it some more. I found that when I pushed the throttle pulley back down, the bike would idle just fine at 1200-1400 RPM.

So I figured it would be the cables, seeing as they are kind of old. I lubed 'em up a bit and put them back on. It was better, but things still don't return to idle without a push down on the pulley by hand. It gets all the way down to 2000 RPM instead of 3000.

Someone suggested I may have put the slides back in the wrong carbs (sounds very likely to me) causing undue friction and unnatural fit.

My next step then would be to switch them around and then resynch, right?

Oh, and I tried with and without covers on the other two nipples, and it seemed to make no difference anywhere between 1200-3000 RPM.

Comment

Well!

After a hiatus I went back to work on the bike and found a few things in addition to having a very interesting time.

Having pondered for weeks on what could have been the problem i decided to see if I had screwed up reinstalling the intake boots. Well I had! One of them was not screwed in all the way and was causing a pretty large air leak.

So I fixed that.

The throttle, however, still insists on getting stuck and I have three theories.

Theory one: This spring is too weak.

Theory two: This thing wiggles and the return throttle pulley gets stuck. It gets pulled down instead of the pulley getting pulled up. The top rivet is loose.

Theory three: God knows that if I fix the bike I'll ride it, and he's protecting me or something...

Anyone know what I could do? Where replacements might be?

When I do get the pulley down by hand I can get it to idle consistently at 1400 RPM. Is that too high? Any lower and it decides to slowly stall out.

Comment

Working...
          X