X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding '82 GS850 Carbs. Mutilated air screw

'82 GS850g 24k miles.
    Rebuilding/Cleaning carbs.
    #2 carb. air screw mutilated, will not back out. Not sure if I screwed up the threads removing the plug. The more I mess with it the worse it gets.
    I'm guessing this carb is now ruined. What to do? F#%@k!
    Anyone want to buy a clean '82 Suzuki GS850g? I'm in Indianapolis.

Does it move down towards closing off the port?

When I have worked on someones damaged carb I usually try to cut / grind off the carb body above to get closer to the screw. If the threads in the carb body are damaged (usually are) I dress them up by using an O-Ring pick tool following the thread lines. That usually brings them to a state where the screw will come out relatively easily. Then I go back with the pick and clean up again. This worked 95% of the time.

If things are really messed up at this point, a new mixture screw or two is ordered. I have a tap for that thread (it's a real odd one), but that is a last resort as you can easily cut a new thread out of sync with the factory thread, then you have nothing.

I used to have a "cutting screw", which was another brass adjusting screw but had the tip and shaft cut off and two slots cut down the threads parallel to the screw body. Sometimes this would clean things up too. Was looking for that a few months ago when I got a damaged set of GS1000 carbs at a garage sale, but couldn't find it.

Comment

Working...
    X