Bike Cannot Hold an Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Cannot Hold an Idle

My Bike used to idle fine starts up fine everything really good! but i noticed after my first long ride since my pods were put in at the light my bike will not idle properly.. i have to set it at like 2k rpm for it not to die... if i set it at 1.5k (it used to be fine here) it slowly puts lower and lower and gradually dies... do you guys reccomend "air screws" leaned out or more rich and the "pilot fuel screws" on the bottom you think should be turned out or more in? .. before i start experimenting i just wanted a few tips, thanks!
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

With pods and a pipe, start with the fuel screws (the ones on the bottom) about one full turn out.
    The usual starting point for the air screws (the ones on the sides) is double the amount on the fuel screws.

Have you raised the needle from the stock setting?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      With pods and a pipe, start with the fuel screws (the ones on the bottom) about one full turn out.
      The usual starting point for the air screws (the ones on the sides) is double the amount on the fuel screws.

Have you raised the needle from the stock setting?

havent even looked at the needles im guessing the prev owner raised them a bit

Comment

it was definitly the air screws they were only out 1 turn so i set them out 2 turns but it was too much so half a turn in and ill find out tommorow!

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
          havent even looked at the needles im guessing the prev owner raised them a bit
          You simply can't "guess", you have to actually LOOK at them and act accordingly.
          The stock setting of the clip is the third notch from the top. You should move the clip to the fourth notch from the top.

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
          it was definitly the air screws they were only out 1 turn so i set them out 2 turns but it was too much so half a turn in and ill find out tommorow!
          If the fuel screws were only out about 1/2 turn, the 1 turn for the air screws would have been pretty close. You have to start with the fuel screws. Find out how far they are turned out. If they are less than 3/4 turn, increase that to 7/8 to 1 turn out, then set the air screws to 1 3/4 to 2 turns out. Then warm up the bike by going for a short ride. "Short ride" should be about 15 minutes, minimum. Now leave the bike running at idle, slowly turn each air screw until you find the highest idle speed, then move to the next screw and repeat. The highest speed will be because that is the best mixture. It may not be exactly twice the amount the fuel screws are turned out, either. The "double the fuel screw" amount is just to get you in the ballpark. When all the carbs are tweaked to perfection, count the number of turns on your air screws and record them for future reference. You may actually find that they are not all the same.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X