#2 carb popping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 carb popping.

Ok so my 81 gs850g is in the shop. Normally I can do the work but I needed some electrical work done. While there I had them sync my crabs since I'm now running k&n pods.#2 Carb is popping and they are saying I need a valve job. On top of that I'm not getting any fuel through the vacume line.WTF... the carbs are supposedly synchronized. What are the causes for these two problems. Any solutions? 15 weeks and $600 later at least the wiring is tip top. Need help.

Did you replace the petcock? The vacuum line for the petcock goes into the #2 and sometimes they leak and cause problems.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Has it been rejetted for the pods?

Trouble on #2 is always a strong indicator that you likely have a bad petcock. Is plug #2 black with soot from gas leaking through the petcock diaphragm?

Checking the valve clearances is essential maintenance, and tight valve clearances can indeed lead to popping and poor running. Has this been done?

The phrase "valve job" is so ambiguous as to be meaningless. Can you clarify what they meant?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm going to pick up the bike today. I rebuilt the petcock and the van line was working fine from the petcock down. They said suction from care is weak. I am going to handle this my self. As for soot, the bike hasn't run long enough to have any. No on the rejet, but did rebuild all four and to compensate for the extra air added foam inserts to the pods. Works awesome.

Comment

A rebuild is not a rejet.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I understand a rebuild is not a rejetting. I have seen several different opinions on the need for rejetting the carbs. So I did not rejet them as of yet. If it is the only way to compensate for more airflow then I will do It. So far the addition of extra foam inside the pods has provided the proper restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by dnorth View Post
              Ok so my 81 gs850g is in the shop. Normally I can do the work but I needed some electrical work done. While there I had them sync my crabs since I'm now running k&n pods.#2 Carb is popping and they are saying I need a valve job. On top of that I'm not getting any fuel through the vacume line.WTF... the carbs are supposedly synchronized. What are the causes for these two problems. Any solutions? 15 weeks and $600 later at least the wiring is tip top. Need help.
              Last time I asked for a crab sync, they did this.

Comment

Post where you're located.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm located in tucson,az. Got the bike back today. Wast of money. Still backfire in carbs two, and not really an even power band. Kinda runs flat. I'm going to replace the petcock since they didn't repair it as they said they would. Also going to rejet the carbs if I must. Might need to adjust the valves... I was really looking forward to riding it.

Comment

On top of that I'm not getting any fuel through the vacume line.WTF...
                    You are not supposed to be getting any fuel through the vacuum line, it's for vacuum. The fuel flows down the other line when the vacuum is applied to the petcock.

Might need to adjust the valves... I was really looking forward to riding it.
                    Adjust the valves first, or you may not be riding it for long.

Still backfire in carbs two, and not really an even power band. Kinda runs flat.
                    That's kinda how they run with pods unless properly jetted and adjusted by someone with a lot of time and patience and who understands how carburetors work.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X