Weird thingie identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird thingie identification

While rooting around in my aribox trying to get my carbs installed I found this...

... Anyone have any idea what this thing is? I couldnt find it on the fiche.

"Lucky Beer Can Ring?"

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      While rooting around in my aribox trying to get my carbs installed I found this...

... Anyone have any idea what this thing is? I couldnt find it on the fiche.
      Looks to me to be one of the reinforcement bands which sit inside the airbox boots to keep them in place.

*EDIT* Odd, I checked the fiche for your 550EL, and it doesn't show them... Perhaps they considered them to be an integral part of the boots and in order to replace them, you would need to replace the entire boot?

If you look in your boots you should see the band on the inside of them. (I am guessing you will only see 3 of them!) They are there to keep the boots from pulling out/deforming when installing the carbs. I believe they can only be pushed in one way, just make sure it goes back in the same way, and you're rockin'.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
        Looks to me to be one of the reinforcement bands which sit inside the airbox boots to keep them in place.

*EDIT* Odd, I checked the fiche for your 550EL, and it doesn't show them... Perhaps they considered them to be an integral part of the boots and in order to replace them, you would need to replace the entire boot?

If you look in your boots you should see the band on the inside of them. (I am guessing you will only see 3 of them!) They are there to keep the boots from pulling out/deforming when installing the carbs. I believe they can only be pushed in one way, just make sure it goes back in the same way, and you're rockin'.
        Great, I figured they must be a part of the boot, was just confused that the fiche didnt say anything about it. Ill check this theory the next time I pull off the carbs. Should be soon because my bike hasnt been starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
          That is what they are.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I liked my guess better, but they're probably right!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
              I liked my guess better, but they're probably right!

Regards,
              I liked your guess better too!

Or maybe I just like beer.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

reinforcement band...Dale is correct
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  ...and we have a winner (maybe several)! Now for the fabulous prize ... a "Lucky Beer Can Ring!"

Glad THAT'S sorted out!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    That's why I'm Dogma. Oh, wait. Other Dale.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      That's why I'm Dogma. Oh, wait. Other Dale.
                      That's ok ... you can be correct too - Lucky Beer Can Rings for everyone!!

Regards,

Comment

So I just purchased a new set of those reinforcement rings for my airbox boots, but how in the world do you get them in?! The boots are super tight and the hole the bands work into is almost like a perfect fit. Also are these critical components to have installed in order to have a properly sealed airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Kapoor View Post
                          So I just purchased a new set of those reinforcement rings for my airbox boots, but how in the world do you get them in?! The boots are super tight and the hole the bands work into is almost like a perfect fit. Also are these critical components to have installed in order to have a properly sealed airbox?
                          May I suggest that you use a hair dryer (or a heat gun, but be VERY VERY careful not to over-do it) to warm the boots up so that they'll stretch over the rings a little easier? Also, a bit of water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid mixed in to it will help make it slippery for installation without any adverse effects afterward.

Some might suggest a silicone spray or a dab of penetrating oil, but once the rings are in place you want them to stay there ... so I prefer using the soapy water. It'll evaporate away quickly without leaving a lubricating film you don't want once they're installed.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                          X