Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor and other questions?

Hi all,
    1st post on the site, have been monitoring all the great info for a month or so now. New owner of an 81 GS850, love the bike have went over so much good info but looking for some advice on a carb related issue?
    In the carb tutorials are you all just cleaning the carbs and replacing the o-rings (http://www.cycleorings.com/) or doing complete kits with needles, seats, jets etc??
    I cleaned the carbs on the rack clearing all the passages etc. I didn't replace the carb or intake o-rings nor do a sync and the bike runs fairly well but has a little surging at highway speed, starving for fuel, carb sync, or vaccuum leak maybe?
    I've changed all the fluids, new battery, cleaned all connections and switches and have rode about 700mi.... so she's fairly dependable. Since I don't know much about past maintenance, 23,000 miles now on the odometer and was hoping you all might help me with a to-do list in order of things you would check or do.
    I have a new progressive front suspension, fork seals and fluid to install as my next project, and thinking I need to do carb, intake and airbox rubber replacement along with checking the valve clearances?
    Any advice, suggestions??
    Thanks to all for such an informative site! I'm glad I stumbled onto this community and particular model of motorcycle for my first project and ride.
    Kurt

Welcome Kurt, hope you enjoy your stay here, these folks are a mine of information.
    I think you will find that most of the people here will post up a to do list that looks something like this.
    1 Fresh oil and filter
    2 Valve clearences
    3 Intake O rings
    4 Airbox sealing and boots
    5 Once all that is sorted, you can climb into the carbs and sort them out.
    6 Brake Lines, replace with stainless steel braided, those 30 year old ones are pretty shot by now.
    And then as you wish, at your leisure

Regulator/rectifier relay mod
    And there are a whole bunch of other mods that the guys and girls have come up with that although not crucial, will be good for your bikes longevity. Also make life a lot easier for you, more riding, less wrenching.
    Basscliff should be along shortly to give you your Mega welcome.

Comment

Thanks for the list and reply flyboy All help is appreciated. Experience and research on this site is making me think I took kind of a backwards approach so far.... I basically cleaned the carbs just to see how she ran and if it was worth alot of effort or investment. I believe it is, sooo looking for all advice to help me put things in order.
      appreciate it!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi MR. K-Log,

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my little website. You'll find "the maintenance lists" and related information in your meg-welcome. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Their are so many little things that all need to work together. Taking short cuts usually means doing the job twice. NO carb kits are needed as a rule.. If you are careful you can reuse the bowl gaskets. Intake boot O rings and valve adjustment should be at the head of the list

Comment

Originally posted by K-Log View Post
            Hi all,
            In the carb tutorials are you all just cleaning the carbs and replacing the o-rings (http://www.cycleorings.com/) or doing complete kits with needles, seats, jets etc??
            Just the o-rings, plus the intake o-rings (which I think he sells also).

Comment

Thanks all for the info, the o-rings I am a orderin.... Can't wait to have some free time to get back at it. Sounds like I will be tackling the valves and carbs soon and then I can put in my new springs, seals and fork oil.
              Can't believe how much info you all have accumulated. I'm sure I've asked the same questions others have in the past, so I appreciate all your patience.
              out....

Comment

Working...
              X