Welded pipes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welded pipes???

So maybe this is not uncommon, but it sure wasn't what I expected when trying to replace my pre-muffler on my '80 GS850. After removing the heat shield on the right side, I found this...

pipes were soldered and/or welded together...really makes getting the replacement done a problem. To further aggravate me, I snapped-off a bolt on my #3 cylinder exhaust flange. This leaves 1 bolt holding on the flanges on #'s 3 & 4 cylinder. One is above the head and the other is not.

For the snapped bolt, did you just snap the head of the bolt off, or is it snapped off flush with the engine head? If you need to remove a stud, you can get sud remover socket attachements, don't know if they would have enough room to get in there though. Otherwise a small money wrench, or vice grips and heat always helps, just not too much or it will weaken the bolt and it'll snap again. Good luck.

Comment

Yes, one of the two snapped bolts is above the surface (the other one isn't). I have taken the bike to my mechanic for whatever he can do to help. Hope to see the bike on the road before winter...

Comment

As for the weld under the heat plate like that, My stock pipes have the same thing (minus the heat plates and 4 rusted-solid-broken bolts ). Also I can relate to the frustration involved in removing/installing them with the kick-stand intact.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM. Reason: Misread the post... sorta... Haha

Comment

Clymer's makes no mention of any such weld at the connector pipe (actually on page 137, instructions say "If muffler removal is desired, loosen clamp securing muffler to exhaust pipes and slide mufflers off pipes. It may be necessary to twist mufflers back and forth to break them loose from the pipes") I would think that if welds were standard, it might have been a footnote in this section, but then again, I'm pretty new to this.

Comment

Originally posted by hakuin View Post
            Clymer's makes no mention of any such weld at the connector pipe (actually on page 137, instructions say "If muffler removal is desired, loosen clamp securing muffler to exhaust pipes and slide mufflers off pipes. It may be necessary to twist mufflers back and forth to break them loose from the pipes") I would think that if welds were standard, it might have been a footnote in this section, but then again, I'm pretty new to this.
            Clymers hasn't a clue... your mufflers are welded to the pipes and I have two sets to prove it.

more than likely, the only way you are going to repair those two broken bolts of yours, is to drill them out and re-tap the holes. I have tried heating them with a torch (oxy-acet), only heating the exhaust port and quenching the bolt, repeated air hammering, soaking with various penetrating oils used with or without heat; all without success.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I snapped the head off more than one bolt in my life. My favorite way to get them off (if there is any stud exposed) is to weld another bolt on the exposed part of the snapped bolt.

1. Clean up the end of the broken part.
              2. Get a bolt of similar diameter. Use one that isn't fully threaded)
              3. cut the threads off of the bolt you are going to weld.
              4. PROTECT anything that you don't want to get metal slag on, or accidentally weld.
              5. weld the "removal bolt" onto the exposed stud.

The heat from the welding also helps with removal.

Now just SLOWLY back that thing up with an impact wrench.

Comment

Hit it with some PB blaster too.
                Let that soak a while.

Then weld a new bolt head on there.

The heat alone from even a 120v welder would scorch that bolt pretty quick, thus probably making it easier to remove.

I've been scared to even touch my exhaust system, because I just KNOW my bolts are gonna snap.....i can just feel it!

But just talking about it makes me wanna do it....

Comment

The info obtained here (once again) proves to be priceless. Thanks for the replies. If and when the exhaust flange bolts are sorted-out, I'll start thinking about a complete exhaust system swap for next year's riding.

I hope to be riding during the cold weather (on days without snow or ice) as I did last year on my scooter...this time though, on my 850 beasty.

Comment

Working...
                  X