1980 GS-850 tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS-850 tank?

I really did it this time. While I had the tank off for cleaning I decided to try to pop a pretty good size dent out with air I buckled to bottom of the tank out. I can probably beat it back into shape but it needs to be replaced.

Any one know what years and models will fit this bike? It appears to be pretty big in capacity. I did a quick search on ebay but could find nothing close.

I'm not against having to fab a mount but would like something close in length.

I have a 1980 GS 850G tank, in very good shape, but it is not painted, self etching primer only so far.
    PM me if you are interested.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is that an 850 G or GL? Radically different tanks.

Go here to look up the part number. Copy/paste it into the search here. Click on the "fits machines" link to see what models use the part.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Is that an 850 G or GL? Radically different tanks.

Go here to look up the part number. Copy/paste it into the search here. Click on the "fits machines" link to see what models use the part.
        It's a "G".

Comment

Yep, Its a straight "G" . Thanks Dan

Comment

Hi,

The '80 and '81 tanks from the 850G and 1000G should interchange with no problems. I currently have an '81 tank on my '80 850G.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Furious D - 80-81 850G and 1000G use the same tank. Those are the only interchagable tanks across those models/years. The GL is smaller, more teardrop shape, and has two mounting holes by the seat whereas the G only has one. The G tank is 5.8 gallon and the GL I believe 3+ gallon. The bike frames are different too so you couldn't put a GL tank on a Gframe even if you wanted too.

If you can't find anything on eBay, try the salvage yards like Stockers, or SS 2 Wheel, or the search engines like UNEEDAPART.COM, or MRCYCLEPARTS.COM. Problem here is these guys think they have gold and charge accordingly.

Oh and don't freak out if the fuel gauge doesn't work. They rarley do and are equally as rare that they're accurate.

Good luck brother!!

Jim

Comment

Hi,

Just so you know, it is possible to put an 850G tank on an 850GL providing you modify the mount points and compensate for the different seat length. The '80-'81 850G has a single bolt on the tank. The '82-'83 850G uses two bolts on the tank.

DanTheMan has been pretty successful at "un-L-ing" his 850GL.

My gas gauge has always worked and is very accurate, even after moving the sending unit to a new tank and replacing my instrument cluster. Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  ... Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule.
                  Oh, you're "exceptional" all right.

Thanks for being that way.

By the way, all of my fuel guages have been rather accurate and/or predictable.
                  There are minor differences from one bike to another, like, on one bike it hits ''reserve" as the gauge crosses into the red zone,
                  ("The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.")
                  while another bike does not hit "reserve" until halfway through the red zone. Regardless, once I know where that bike hits "reserve",
                  it will be consistent on the gauge every time.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
                    Furious D - 80-81 850G and 1000G use the same tank.
                    Oh and don't freak out if the fuel gauge doesn't work. They rarley do and are equally as rare that they're accurate.

Good luck brother!!

Jim

My fuel gage worked pretty good, When it was full it read full. After about 5 miles it read 1/4 of a tank.

I have a few leads on a tank, Thanks to all.

I did take out some of the bulge I created by turning the tank upside down and standing on it. Tommorow I will get the torch out and try to beat it back in the rest of the way... Dont worry I already flushed out the tank with water three times and will fill it again while I am heating it up.

Next time I'll leave the dent in the tank and cover it up with a bumper sticker

Comment

The Suzuki fuel gauges seem to be quite reliable overall, only real problem I've seen with them is rust. Oh, and the '82+ 850/1100 share tanks much like the early 850/1000's did.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wonder if a tank from a 79 GS-1000 would work. A local guy has one cheap . Its only 10 miles from me , He says it has the single mounting hole.

Thanks for all your help guys, I feel pretty stupid for pretty much destroying a decent tank.

I've used air a couple dozen times to pop out dents but this time I must of been a little over-zealous with the pressure.

I'm headed out now to see how much damage I can do with a torch and a dead blow hammer. I always wanted to build a custom tank, Maybe today is the day I start ? All I need is some tin, zip screws and a gallon of bondo....

Comment

Originally posted by Furious D View Post
                          I'm headed out now to see how much damage I can do with a torch and a dead blow hammer. I always wanted to build a custom tank, Maybe today is the day I start ? All I need is some tin, zip screws and a gallon of bondo....
                          Think before you do any more damage to it.

find two scraps of 2x4's longer than the length of the tank. make grooves in each one of them, with a router, which will hold the tanks pinch weld. bore two holes in each piece of lumber and put a threaded rod though each set of holes and use it like a giant clamp to squeeze the tank halves back towards center.

Nessism did a write up on that procedure at one time.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The tank was already pretty beat anyway, I got it back in shape with a little heat and used a rachet strap to pull it together.

Right now its full of water to test for leaks, I will try to make an adapter to pump up the tank to 15 Psi tonight . If it holds I will mount it back on the bike until I find another tank .

Whats the best way to get rid of the light rust that has formed inside the tank?

Comment

Electrolysis.... cheap fun with science.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X