aarrrgghh !! carb boots which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aarrrgghh !! carb boots which way?

Unfortunately, I didnt keep track of which way the carb boots came off of the engine.

I am working on getting the carbs back on the 82 glz 1100,, the boots are not symmetrical, Ive put them on,,in such a way that the longer side of all four of them, is up,, the shorter side to the down side, also, the two boots that are shorter overall than the other two, are on the number two and three cylinders, the two boots that are longer overall are on the 1 and 4 cyls. I have tried to put the carbs on as a rack, onto the lubricated boots, the garage and the boots are all cold, and stiff. They wont go, even though this method appears correct. If you can fill me in, I sure would appreciate it.

Your boots should have R and L stamped on them for left and right (as you sit on the bike facing forward). Made in Japan faces the cylinder head. They do look odd when you haven't got the carbs on them but the carbs will fit.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

huh?

Hi, I see that I do have the right and left on, and a straightedge goes with the least gap on the flanges the way I have them turned.

The REAL Question is are the shorter ones to go on the number two and three or the one and four, right now I have the ones that are some small measure shorter, in the middle and there is a problem getting them to line up on the holes.

Also, the made in japan on the rubbers, cant face the cylinder head since thats on the carb spigot side next to the clamping area for the carbs.

Is there some other trick that I can employ to be sure these things are on correctly. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by banditom View Post
        Is there some other trick that I can employ to be sure these things are on correctly. Thanks in advance.
        yes, make sure the 'L's go on cylinders 1 & 2 and the 'R's go on cylinders 3 & 4, with the L & R facing upwards.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

ok then HSH!

Hi,

I think I have your meaning now, the Made in Japan, only reads correctly when I FACE the cylinder head.

Sorry about the misunderstanding if this is correct. Going to run down there and try this fitting, I hopefully have it. Thanks

Comment

Hi,

As far as I know, all of the boots should be the same length, the only difference being the left or right slant. If the boots are too hard or disfigured, perhaps it's time for new ones. New intake boots sure make the carbs go on and off a lot easier.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

got it , thanks!!

Hi HSH,

I did get everything lined up and on. I had to heat the boots a bit, its only forty degrees here and they are stiff as car tires. Thanks for your help.

Comment

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I can second Basscliff's recommendations for new boots if at all possible. I know how important it usually is for us to keep costs as low as possible--after all, many of us are exploring these older bikes because acquiring them is so much more affordable than the new stuff.

But if at all possible, getting new rubber from the air box through the carbs and then the intake boots and o-rings is practically a must with these older bikes. I get the impression that the air/fuel/exhaust tolerances were pretty tight, leaving little room for ageing rubber parts 30+ years down the road.

Your local Suzuki dealership should be able to order the new boots, as well as some online sites like BikeBandit.

Good luck with the project. When done, you'll be very, very pleased with what you've done and have.

Best.

Comment

Working...
                  X