main jet size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

main jet size

ok so vance and hines reccomends going form a 115 stock jet to a 120 jet after installing there exhaust on my 80 GS850. my question is i already have a aftermarket mystery exhaust on my bike. everything is stock except for exhaust. bike bogs at 70mph if i increase the size will it fix this problem?

Does the bike have pods?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

no. stock airbox and filter sealed with weather stripping

Comment

Originally posted by yotaman423 View Post
        ok so vance and hines reccomends going form a 115 stock jet to a 120 jet after installing there exhaust on my 80 GS850. my question is i already have a aftermarket mystery exhaust on my bike. everything is stock except for exhaust. bike bogs at 70mph if i increase the size will it fix this problem?
        Might help to try 122.5, or you could also shim the needles to help with the mid-range.

My son's 850 has what I am told is a Jardine header and a stock airbox. 120 mains work well with that pipe, but the V&H might flow a bit better, requiring larger jets.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by yotaman423 View Post
          Before doing any rejet guessing, I would first do a vacuum carb synch.
          If they carbs are out of synch badly, the engine will bog or die at certain throttle openings. You can not jet a bike to run well if the carburetors are all drawing different vacuum levels. Once the sych is correct, I would run the bike up to 70 to see if it still bogs.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

sycnc. already but i will check again

Comment

Even running lean with the 115s you should still het redline though I don't recommend it.
              I would try a larger main and shimming the needle but if it still bogs I'd check ignition.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks will check when the weather breaks. i think my problem was a in-line filter restricting fuel. need more test rides

Comment

Working...
                X