Steady Progress, but not there yet. Jets & Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steady Progress, but not there yet. Jets & Pods

I have a 1978 gs750. I've been going through the normal tweekings and adjustments involved with air pods and jetting. This is what I've done and I am hoping that someone can give me some ideas. Am I heading in the right direction? It seems like it.

1st go around
    Uni Pods
    air mixture 1/2 turn out
    Fuel mixture 1 turn out
    main jet: 107.5
    Topped out speed 70 mph, with the throttle twisted all the way.

2nd go around
    Uni Pods
    air mixture 1/2 turn out
    Fuel mixture 1 turn out
    main jet: 120
    Topped out speed 85 mph, with the throttle twisted all the way.

Do the adjustments below seems to be appropriate for the 3rd go around. I hope to make them this weekend after I get some ideas.
    Uni Pods
    air mixture 1/2 turn out
    Fuel mixture 1 turn out
    main jet: 125
    Topped out speed ______, with the throttle twisted all the way.

Please feel free to give me any suggestions. I feel like I'm close, but I need some expert advice.

Thanks

scudder

Why people continue to get Pods after so many threads about how hard they are to tune and how little gain you get is beyond me.

Comment

Especially people who don't know how carburetors work. Kind of like the ones who don't know Jack about electricity cutting into their electrical systems and then asking for help. Oh well, more parts bikes for the rest of us.
      So Scudder, is it too rich or too lean now?
      It's hard to tell from here.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thought I'd take a stab at you guys for advice. I probably don't know enough to ask the question. This is my last go around before returning to stock. The bike, has be an odyessy in many other ways than just the pod, jetting thing. However, far from a parts bike. Preciate it.

scudder

Comment

Again, is it too rich or too lean? If you don't know this, put the airbox back on.

Comment

Hi,

As I understand the VM carb operation, you're supposed to have the air screw out at about double the fuel screw, then adjust from there. Start with fuel screw 3/4 or 7/8 out and the air screw about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 turns out. Plug chops at each throttle opening will tell you what the different carb circuits are doing; pilot jet, needle jet, jet needle, main jet, etc. Read your plugs. You'll find links to carb tuning tips on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Too lean, I'm thinkin'. I think I'll just put the box back on like you said, and start over. What concerns me, is the bike had some of the same tendencies before I took off the box, and started down this slippery slope of pod and jets. When I got the bike stock it wouldn't run over 50mph full throttle. Thanks for the advice.

scudder

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Especially people who don't know how carburetors work. Kind of like the ones who don't know Jack about electricity cutting into their electrical systems and then asking for help. Oh well, more parts bikes for the rest of us.
                So Scudder, is it too rich or too lean now?
                It's hard to tell from here.
                I know how carbs work, but I'm going back to stock airbox

Why?

Simple answer: IM BROKE & CHEAP AND DJ KIT IS NOT WORTH THE DECREASE IN MPG TO GET MY BIKE TO RUN RIGHT!

Cost too much damn money for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                  Too lean, I'm thinkin'.
                  One or the other. 50/50 chance?

When I got the bike stock it wouldn't run over 50mph full throttle.
                  That sounds serious, it's probably good to get this one fixed before making any big modifications.

Comment

I just got done rebuilding and tweaking a GS1000 and had headache after headache with it. Be smart.....Go back to your Mega Welcome and take a look at the most common issue's section. Go through your bike one by one and verify that everything on that list is good on your bike. Once you have it running right, stock, then you can start modifying it. If you dont get it running correctly in stock form, you will just end up chasing your tail around.

Simple checks:

Rust in your tank
                    Petcock is fully operational
                    Airbox is sealing correctly
                    Intake boots and IB O'rings are still good
                    Getting healthy spark on all four plugs
                    After rejetting, make sure your plugs arent fouled out. Replace them if they are

Most important thing when messing with jetting........READ YOUR PLUGS. Plugs are an easy way to see how the motor is doing.

This isnt hard and it isnt rocket science. Break down the mechanics of everything and research. If you cant afford to do research and teach yourself this stuff, your better off taking your bike to a mechanic who already knows what he is doing. Theres a trade off to wrenching on your own stuff.

Comment

I have a 1978 gs750.
                      What exhaust is on it?

125's might be in the ball park with a 4 to 1 exhaust and pods. WAY too big for pods alone.

50 mph top speed in stock form? fix what's wrong with your bike first! it should do at least 110 in stock form.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

All i can add is now i dont feel so isolated.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Exhaust is 4 to1 with a modified muffler made out of an exhaust tip. The muffler is more free flowing that the old beat up 4 to 1 muffler.

I now realize that I should have gotten everything figured out stock before modifying anything. Too late for that, unless I retrace my steps now.

Comment

Too late for that, unless I retrace my steps now.
                            No it's not...

check/adjust valve clearances.
                            compression test
                            check point gap(s)
                            measure voltage at the coils
                            measure coil secondary resistance; plug cap to plug cap.
                            measure fuel levels with external tubing.

did you raise the needle height in the carbs?
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

With that kind of loss of power are you sure you're firing on all 4 cylinders?

Comment

Working...
                              X