idle problems. need HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle problems. need HELP!!!

i've been having with carbs since i've owned the bike. nearly a year now. when i first got it it was running way to rich. i'd foul out a set of plugs in about 400 miles. i pulled the carbs to see if there was anything i could see. i noticed the floats were set to high. i set to the proper 26mm with gasket removed. cylinders 1,2, and 4 still ran rich but not as bad. cylinder 3 immediatley started running to lean. only white insulator. i kept tinkering with it for a while then just gave up for a while. i pulled the carbs a few weeks later to check them again. i checked to see where the air and fuel screws were at. the air screws were 2 turns out on all cylinders and the fuel were out 3 full turns on all of them. so i tryed setting the fuel screws to 1 turn out and it wouldn't even run. i then ran them back out to the 3 turns. all cylinders ran to lean. i pulled them and tore them apart. noticed one of the screws had broken off inside. got that fixed and let them soak in carb dip for a week. put everything back together correctly and all cylinders seem to run lean cuz i can't get any color on any of the plugs. it revs fine. pulls all the to redline. no hickups or anything, except at idle. idle is all over the place it might idle at 1500 or slowly start falling till it finally cuts out. it just kinda jumps all over the place. the carb holders are good and flexible the orings are brand new. check for air leaks and can't find any, and the valves are all in spec. please help!

What are your pilot screws set at now? And what filter and exhaust are you running?
    1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
      i noticed the floats were set to high. i set to the proper 26mm with gasket removed.
      I don't have the specs for the '79 carbs, but the '78 carbs were to be set at 23.0 +/- 1.0 mm. Setting them at 26 will make them run lean.

the air screws were 2 turns out on all cylinders and the fuel were out 3 full turns on all of them.
      If you have stock airbox and exhaust, the fuel screws (on the bottom) should be out about 3/4 turn. The air screws (on the side) should be out about 1 1/2 turn.

so i tryed setting the fuel screws to 1 turn out and it wouldn't even run. i then ran them back out to the 3 turns. all cylinders ran to lean.
      This is probably because the float level is too low.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the filter is a stock foam filter with stock airbox. the exhaust is the mac 4 into 2. im not a big fan of it. it was on the bike when i got it. they r set between 2 and 3 turns out. 3 and 4 run more lean than the others i have them set at 3 and 1 and 2 are 2 turns out. ive tryed messing with them and it keeps doing the same.

Comment

i went ahead and put them back to where they were when i got them which im pretty sure is right around 20mm to 23mm. but im still running lean. the bike runs fine off idle on up. im just having trouble with idle.

Comment

It does still sound like an air leak or you are very lean. This may be the float level as steve said. But after 30 odd years the buoyancy of the floats can differ from how they left the factory.

So rather than pulling the carbs and measuring 24mm or 26mm exactly and thinking they're right; the only way to really know what is happening with your fuel level, is by checking it with clear tubing - running from the drain screw hole in the bottom of the carb to the mating surface of the carb body with the float bowl. The fuel should sit about 3mm below this. Search the forums or check the manual further for more details & photos of this if you like.

When I checked mine there was 4mm difference between the carbs and the floats were set all exactly the same. One was 4mm below the mating surface and another sat right on it. The other two were in between. So my float heights ended up between 25 - 28mm to get the correct wet fuel level in the bowl.

This is really the only way to know the fuel level in the carbs and rule float height out as a factor.
            1979 GS750E

Comment

this might be a dumb question but how can i get the tube to connect to the fuel bowl drain without fuel spilling everywhere?

Comment

this might be a dumb question but how can i get the tube to connect to the fuel bowl drain without fuel spilling everywhere?
                Here's a thread that should help:

1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

ok. thanks guys! i'll try that out this weekend and let u know what i find.

Comment

Just a thought. Did you record the other carb settings when you pulled the carbs? i.e. needle height/position. If your not getting any colour on your plugs and idles a mess, too lean a needle can cause these symptoms but you'll still go pretty fast when warm. You may be compensating for this with the pilot fuel screw settings.

Check you floats first anyway cause you want them to be right regardless.
                    1979 GS750E

Comment

the needles are on the 2nd from the top slot. which is where they were when i got it. going to be checking the float height this afternoon. i'll post again as soon as i check them.

Comment

ok so i checked the float levels. they r all good. if anything they r a hair on the high side but still within tolerance. any other ideas?

Comment

well i guess i'm just run it till dies. it runs and i'm sick of screwing with this thing. thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

We need to know all the following info..you already told us your running a 4 into 1 pipe. You have also checked the float heights.

Now take the floats and float needles out and remove the float seats and be sure the screens under the seats are clean..or even there.
                            What size are the MAIN jets?
                            What size are the PILOT jets?
                            Whats the numbers on the NEEDLE jet..the long one attatched to the slides?
                            Have you dipped all the metal parts and needles in carbs dip for at least 12 hrs?
                            Have you dipped each carb body as well?
                            Have you rinsed the parts in carb spary and used compressed air to blow thru all the passages and the jets after they came out of the carb dip?
                            Have you taken a small wire and cleaned all the holes in the jets and the emullsion tubes?
                            Have you replaced all the orings in the crabs?
                            Have you replaced the orings between the intake pipes and the engine? They may look and feel fine, but still not be perfect.
                            Once all this info is provided the guys WILL be able to assess the situation properly and advise the proper jets and settings to get them in the ball park for you..I know cuz i just got one heck of an education just this weekend and they got them and me dialed in almost pefectly. I know its frustrating and youre getting really pizzed, but hang in there. Also read my thread called Carbs Mechanic Wanted,, All the things i went thru is right there and all the coaching they gave me is there also. I think it will help you out a lot to check it out.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

What does the voltage at the primary side of the coils measure?

what do the tips of the fuel mixture screws look like? nice and sharp still?

have you checked for a broken off tip(s) in the carb body from yours, or a previous fuel mixture screw?

have you researched the correct clip position on the needle is supposed to be? is it the second or is it the third position?
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X