1983 gs550 help again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs550 help again..

Went to go tinker with her this morning and she started right up... still running super rich.. So i got the idea in mind to maybe try to ope up hte air box (via the port to put in and out the air intake filter) and let her run that way thinking it would lean it out.. Well it leaned it out pretty good... but she revved really high.. So i said eh and put it back on... Tried to start her back up and now she won't start... sigh.. any ideas?

When were the carbs last cleaned? Did the carbs ever have pod filters fitted? If it did it could be jetted richer than you now need. If its running rich and it won't start it could be flooded, pull the plugs and have a look if they are black and wet. Leave the plugs out for awhile and clean them, then try again.

Do you start with the choke on? If so try shutting it off as soon as the engine starts to run by itself and idle. Over choking will have it running rich too. Also make sure the choke control shuts off properly as I've seen bike were it looks to be closed but actually is still slightly on.

I'm thinking its in need of a cleaning and possibly rejetting. I think you need to verify the jets anyway so you might as well pull the carbs and give them a dip while you're at it. I'm not sure of the correct stock sized jets but I believe they would be in the manual available from Bikecliffs website. Check and see.

Good luck with it.
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

The jets in this carb are bigger. They are 110 and 107.5... the stock are 102.5 and 95.. So yes they are bigger.. It runs now was a fuel issue (the line kinked on me from me messing with it and i didn't realize it) I have the air screws 3 turns out and it seems to run okay... With full choke it revs up pretty high (about 4-5) which if im understanding correctly means it is tuned fairly well.

Comment

Hi,

Why do you have larger than stock jets? Are you running pod filters and/or a modified exhaust? What maintenance have you done to the bike? Did you read your "mega-welcome"?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

yup read the mega-welcome bunches of times.. No im not running pods or different exhaust. But i have got them tuned almost perfect with the bigger jets (surprising i know). I have the air screws all adjusted to about 3-3 1/2 turns out and she purrs. Cold start on 1/2 - 2/3 choke and it start and runs great.. anymore choke and she revs way high up.

im running bigger jets because thats what came in the carb i bought of febay to replace my carb in which i tried to reverse drill my pilot jets because they had seized and ended up drilling right through them... Sigh..

But today i almsot dumped the damn thing after getting some new dunlops on there i took er for a ride around the block and made a slow right had turn and sideways she got lol... Damn tires grip to well to even do a burnout with them to try and wear the ucky film off of them..

Comment

If it is that rich at 3 turns out, shouldn't you turn them in a bit? I don't understand how it could be running rich but then tuned almost perfectly too. Either the jets are too much or its allowing too much air in, right?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Can't you replace the oversized jets with the stock jets from your old set of carbs?

Comment

i was contemplating replacing them but im also curious if there is a power difference from the big jets to the stock jets.

If it's running rich i should turn the air screws out more correct? Once it is warm it runs great, takes off good has good power but when i stop (i was just riding it up adn down the street andteaching a friend how to ride)it would drip gas from maybe the airbox? So im thinkingi may need to set my floats.. I don't have a little calibrator tool thing unfortunatlyso maybea ruler cando it?

Im going to try putting the jets down to the 107.5 andthe 102.5. Instead of the 110 107.5. Maybe i can get it to lean out a little better.

Another little problem is when i start her... on choke she revs like 4-5 grand but i barely move the choke and it drops down to like... 1500 but it won't take off,it just bogs and dies if i try to take off... But once it's been running for a few minutes it takes off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
                  If it's running rich i should turn the air screws out more correct?
                  Hi,

Those are not "air screws". They are "idle mixture screws". The more you turn them out, the more fuel is added to the idle mixture.

Yes, you can take the carbs off, remove the float bowls, and set the float height with a ruler. I believe your float height should be 22.4mm (+/- 1mm) so that converts to 0.88189 inches.

For leaking carbs, if you're sure it's the carbs and not the petcock, have a look at these suggestions:

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X