Can't get it to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get it to start

I recently bought an 82 gs650 shaft drive. I jetted the carbs and did a thorough cleaning. Put pod filters on and the exhaust is 4 into 2 straight piped. when i try to start it it acts like it wants to run but it wont stay idleing. if i cup my hands over the carbs and restrict air intake then it will want to run.
    any idieas???

Cabs still not clean.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GS650L,

It sounds like you're using cheap pod filters with practically no exhaust and your carbs are either not really clean, jetted improperly, or both. Study the resources in your "mega-welcome" below for the proper procedure to clean these CV style Mikuni BS32SS carbs. It all starts with clean carbs. You must remove the cap from the idle mixture screws and remove the mixture screws to clean the carbs properly. Don't use aftermarket "carb kits". Clean and reuse all of the original hardware and install an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com. All the details are in the links below. If you're still having trouble after properly cleaning your carbs, then you should probably start by bumping up the pilot jet one size, go up on the mains 4 to 6 sizes, and shim the needles to richen up the midrange. It might be easier just to get a jet kit from Dynojet. That will take most of the guesswork out of the equation. But you will still have to do some "plug chops" and read the plugs to make sure the mixture is correct for all of the carb circuits. You'll find information on "plug chops" and jetting on my little website.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

appreciate the help, i'll dig into the carbs again and see if that's the issue and i'll let yall know.

Comment

Originally posted by GS650L View Post
          I recently bought an 82 gs650 shaft drive. I jetted the carbs and did a thorough cleaning. Put pod filters on and the exhaust is 4 into 2 straight piped. when i try to start it it acts like it wants to run but it wont stay idleing. if i cup my hands over the carbs and restrict air intake then it will want to run.
          any idieas???
          Don't lose the old airbox, airfilter box and cover - your bike might miss them- at the very least, others might like to buy them.
          Was there a issue that made you opt for pods?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Maybe he just likes a challenge.
            A perfectly running motorcycle is much too boring.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If your cupping your hands over the intake to get it to run its too lean...I assume it still has stock jets in the carbs..with pods and straight exhaust your engine is wanting more fuel...my suggestion is get 3 diff size pilots and mains..Z1 is a good place for jets..go up one size on each and start it..possibly 2 sizes to start with a straight exhaiust..someplace I have a chart from Mikuni that shows at what throttle postion what part of the carb circuit is working..that will help you tune them...its alot of work to "dial-in" a bike with pipes and pods..if I can find the chart I'll post it up for you.

DDM

Comment

Heres the chart..hope it helps

Comment

okay i've completely cleaned the carbs now(thanks basecliff for the link with the pics).
                  got the bike to run but having trouble getting it to idle.
                  i can keep it running if i hold the throttle so that its running between 1 and 2 grand but as soon as i let loose of the throttle it dies then its a pain to get started again.
                  ???

Comment

Originally posted by GS650L View Post
                    okay i've completely cleaned the carbs now(thanks basecliff for the link with the pics).
                    got the bike to run but having trouble getting it to idle.
                    i can keep it running if i hold the throttle so that its running between 1 and 2 grand but as soon as i let loose of the throttle it dies then its a pain to get started again.
                    ???
                    Well, you're in ballpark since decent idle would be about 1200; try adjusting idle stop screw ( between carb 2 and 3 at at pod side) so it holds things. Later on, commence fiddling with idle/air screws to fine tune.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X