Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Cock assembly, 79 GS1000SN

I'll try this one more time;

I put a Rebuild kit on my 79 GS1000SN, and i no doubt put it back together wrong. i believe the diaphrams have to have the spacer inbetween them, correct? i did not do that. my bad. and looking at BikeCliff's web site, it does not say where the little hole on the diaphram get lined up to. i know it gets lined up with the hole in the spacer, but what i don't see is where they go when assembled with the rest of the pet cock? it looks like there are 2 holes on the back plate of the pet cock. 1 hole is located by the fuel line nipple. looks like another hole is on the other side of the same backing plate approx. 100degrees around on the other side. can i get some clarification please. i have fuel flowing from all 3 positions on the pet cock, and i know in the "run" position, when the tank is off the bike, the fuel should not flow. Thanks to all that can help me get this straightened out!!

No instructions with the rebuild kit? You needed to diagram or take pics during disassembly. I have yet to take one of these apart- hopefully Mr. Matchless will be able to sort things out for you.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes there are two parts to the diaphram and the spacer goes between them. The indent on the spacer faces out. I would put the vent hole at the top Insert the diaphram, then the spring then the cover

Comment

Ok thanks. any more input from others is appreciated!

Comment

I have rebuilt 3 of those frustrating things.
          I have noticed on the front of the petcock (at least mine, '79 GS1000E) on the "Pri" side above the gas line nipple and opposite the vacuum line nipple, a little hole that should mate up with the hole in the diaphram and hole in the spacer. All 3 should line up if you got it back together right.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            I have rebuilt 3 of those frustrating things.
            I have noticed on the front of the petcock (at least mine, '79 GS1000E) on the "Pri" side above the gas line nipple and opposite the vacuum line nipple, a little hole that should mate up with the hole in the diaphram and hole in the spacer. All 3 should line up if you got it back together right.
            Steve is correct. the small holes should all line up.

make sure every sealing surface is perfectly clean and not pitted. and I do mean everything.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ok guys, I get that all of those holes should line up with each other, but when reassembled, what position on the pet cock should those holes be in, with the pet cock in the position of like it is when mounted on the tank, and the tank mounted on the bike, meaning the filter end would be pointing straight up, and the lever end on the bottom? should those holes be in the upper left or right, of lower left or right,looking the the pet cock from the lever side, not the back plate side.that's the other thing I
              don't understand.

Comment

Upper right.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

There are many variants of these petcocks, but I believe yours is like mine, a '79 GS1000E. If you look at your petcock from the front (lever side) there should be a little itty bitty hole in the two o'clock position that
                  should be used to line up with the hole in the diaphram and spacer block.
                  It is in line with the upper right screw hole and lower right screw hole of the four that hold the diaphram together, higher than the gas line nipple, or about 1/4 inch below the top right screw. This hole is small, it's often hard to see as it's usually covered with grime. This hole should be of dirt or any other type of build up. I use gasoline to clean mine. The vacuum
                  line nipple goes to the 10 or 9 o'clock position. Hope this helps.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X