Mikuni smoothbore throttle conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni smoothbore throttle conversion

Hi! New guy here. I recently came across your site searching the web for GS stuff. Looks like a great source of info so I signed up. So I'll jump right in.

Recently picked up a beautiful '83 GS1100E with some mods. One of them being a set of Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs. The thing that I'm concerned about is that the previous owner hooked them up to the stock single cable throttle. I have never had a bike with the Mikuni RS smoothbores on them before, but I've read that they should ALWAYS be hooked up to a dual cable throttle for safety.

So my question is, can the stock right hand switch housing be adapted to a dual cable throttle? or do I need to adapt a dual cable switch housing off of another bike such as a Bandit to my GS? I'm sure some of you gear heads have done this before so any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

You really should run a push/pull throttle assembly just in case the carbs hang up. If the return springs are on the tightest position you're probably okay with the single cable setup but better safe than sorry. You can run lighter spring settings with a push/pull assembly.

Comment

I would think that any non-L model '78-'79 750, 850 or 1000 that came with the 2 cable throttle for the 26's would be a great candidate.
      I sold all of my spare sets last week or I would have offered one up.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        I would think that any non-L model '78-'79 750, 850 or 1000 that came with the 2 cable throttle for the 26's would be a great candidate.
        Great idea. Being that all I own are 1100E's with the single cable throttle I wasn't aware of other GS bikes of that period having dual cable throttles. Now, if only I could figure out which models had the dual cable throttles and which ones didn't I'll be in business. Suggestions as to how to source that info?? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
          Great idea. Being that all I own are 1100E's with the single cable throttle I wasn't aware of other GS bikes of that period having dual cable throttles. Now, if only I could figure out which models had the dual cable throttles and which ones didn't I'll be in business. Suggestions as to how to source that info?? Thanks!
          Your answer is in the previous post.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

i run rs36 on my bike and with the spring cranked right up there ok but awefully hard on the wrist.When i loosened off the spring they are slow to return for sure.there are plenty of aftermarket push pull assemblies like the rizoma on my kat

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
              i run rs36 on my bike and with the spring cranked right up there ok but awefully hard on the wrist.When i loosened off the spring they are slow to return for sure.there are plenty of aftermarket push pull assemblies like the rizoma on my kat
              I have a Yoshimura assembly with all the switchgear. I loosened the spring up on mine as far as I could. Much easier on the wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                OK, what have you guys found to be some good online salvage/used parts sources for GS's? Are those links somewhere here on the site? Thanks!

Comment

Start a thread in parts wanted.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Regarding these Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs, mine seem to be running on the rich side - loading up the plugs at low speeds and a definite brown puff out the exhaust when the throttle is rapidly opened. I have not yet attempted to remove them or open them up to see what size jets are inside. I would like to get my hands on some kind of a manual or tuning guide for these carbs but I can't seem to find one. Looked on the Mikuni site and couldn't find anything there. Did a preliminary search on the web and couldn't find anything there either. Does anyone have, or know of a place, to find a manual or tuning guide for the Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
                      Regarding these Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs, mine seem to be running on the rich side - loading up the plugs at low speeds and a definite brown puff out the exhaust when the throttle is rapidly opened. I have not yet attempted to remove them or open them up to see what size jets are inside. I would like to get my hands on some kind of a manual or tuning guide for these carbs but I can't seem to find one. Looked on the Mikuni site and couldn't find anything there. Did a preliminary search on the web and couldn't find anything there either. Does anyone have, or know of a place, to find a manual or tuning guide for the Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs?

Send me a pm with your email addy and I'll send you a PDF that should help.

Comment

Working...
                      X