Getting frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting frustrated

I recently decided to reactivate my 1983 gs 750e, which I purchased brand new in 1983. The bike was stolen shortly thereafter, but I got it back. This soured me from riding and I stored it for many years. Using it one season in 1999. The bike has 6000 miles on it. Someone stole the sidecovers on it which I replaced it immediately with blanks thinking of the future when they would be unavailable. When they did this they kicked it over and battery acid spilled on the black chrome pipes removing some of the chrome. Other than that the bike appears to be in good shape. I originally just wanted to put it on the road, but after hanging around this web sight. I have been bitten by the GS bug, and now wish to restore it to its former glory. I have received some good advice so far, regarding carb rebuilds but am still not sure I am willing to take the job on. I live in an apartment and can't really visualize tearing them down on my coffee table. I am somewhat leery of my local suzuki shop. Used them twice and was not satisfied. Then read their google reviews which were bloody awful. The bike fired right up when I started it even with 12 year old gas. I rode it for around 50 miles to burn off gas and reload with fresh and seafoam. After starting the bike the bike will not idle on all 4 cylinders til I hit about 3800 rpm. Then everything is fine and I can turn the choke off. So it is fun on the highway but a drag in the city.
    Here is what I have done so far
    1 change oil and filter
    2 new tires
    3 new brake fluid in front [ rear to come ]
    4 looked in air box, little bits of foam left from what used to be my air filter. ordered a new one, which is backordered, so will try for a k&n instead. thank God the screen was intact.
    5 new battery
    Anyway if anyone has a suggestions for what I should do in addition, they would be much appreciated. Also any recommendations for a mechanic. I find the carb job impractical for where I live.The bike has always been stored indoors so no rust. Also redoing the black chrome. I remember this stuff was crappy when I bought it, marking very easy to mark.
    thanx guys
    Last edited by bccap; 05-22-2011, 01:39 PM.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

You'll be AMAZED at how much difference it'll make if you rebuild the carbs and adjust the valves.
    Not kidding!
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      You'll be AMAZED at how much difference it'll make if you rebuild the carbs and adjust the valves.
      Not kidding!
      +1, the coffee table will do just fine.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

+2

Did mine on my coffee table and front porch and I live in a house....but that was because I don't have a garage and I've seen a couple arks float by lately!! Rained alot here in Michigan lately. Was super simple. Just put a fan in the window to do the reassembly to get rid of the carb cleaner fumes. I just went on the porch to put in/out of the dip can and spray the passages out with cleaner (got a balcony? Perfect place ). I've done carb work before on cars but never really worked on bikes. The fact that you don't have a filter element is probably killin you too. Making it to lean. I'll let you know how mine is once I get it running and tuned. I just bought mine last summer so no real clue as to how the maintenance has been on the bike. 24K on the odometer.

Comment

I just went over Bikecliffs carb instructions. They seem fairly complex to me plus no mention of getting them on and off the bike. Plus, don't they have to be synced as well ? Also I did notice it ran differently [ bogged ] when I removed the crap inside the airbox. not sure why, none of it was on the filter post. I am inclined to hire someone for the carbs though. If anyone in Vancouver is interested.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
          https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

If you put the proper filter in your airbox I think your problems may be solved. Only last week I went through the same sort of thing. Complete carb over-haul and rebuild but didn't have the airbox/filter installed , it wouldn't run right and would bog. The guys on here gave me good advice and no more problems. I wouldn't run it until you take care of that. There needs to be resistance or the air/fuel mixture goes out of whack. I think thats a simplified explanation but that's kind of how I see it. Wait and try the new filter first and make sure there are no air leaks, even the foam seal on the airbox lid/cover needs to be there or it won't run right. If that doesn't fix it then go from there and clean your carbs. That old gas didn't help matters.
            Which Vancouver are you in B.C or WA. ? If you're in B.C and ever want to sell your bike let me know, I'm in Victoria.
            Good Luck , Dave GO CANUCKS !!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I have a copy of the forum's Carb Cleanup Series on my website. Also check out my Air Intake Repair guide to see how I take off my carbs. Your airbox is probably a little different but the procedure will be similar. There is a Carb Sync guide on my website and another on Mr. bwringer's website: http://www.bwringer.com/gs

There's lots of good stuff collected on my little website. Don't be afraid to click all the links and learn this stuff.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X