No announcement yet.

Still have power problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get a better idea, take it out in 2nd or 3rd and try to run it up to redline and do a plug chop

It is made to rev up to redline and beyond, you know

Sounds like you have a lean condition
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
      Sorry has new clucth springs and cleaned and measured (all in spec) plates. To be honest I don't think I have tried to get it up to 60 in 3rd or 4th gear, maybe I was afraid it would hurst something. Don't think I have had it past 6000, since I'm only trying for speed. You can get it to 55-60 and on rare times up to 65 in 5th gear, but seems to lose power when you shift to 6th gear. Also will lose speed going up a hill, and it rare it will hold speed if you give it more throttle. I feels like it wants to go faster but just not enough power to do it. terrylee
      have you freed up the advance mechanism, If it is stuck it won't wind up.in one of your other posts you said you couldn't get it to move ?
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yeah, were are on the same page that is what I was trying to move. I swear I couldn't get it to budge. Did take bike out tonight and tried getting it to go 55-60 in 3rd and 4th gear. Could get it to go about 55 in 3rd with 7000rpms and 60-65 in 4th with about 65000 rpms. Bike seemed to have a little more get up and go in lower gears. But even though I could get it to nearly 70 in 5th it seemed to struggle to get there. Never did put it in 6th gear. It still seems to be holding back in higher gears, wants to go faster but just seems it can't.Still lost speed and power going up a hill, was only able to keep it at 55 in 5th gear. I'm hoping the small improvement might be the mec. advance working alittle better. Don't have time or energy to check it again tonight, but will do tomorrow. Also rear sprocket is stock, I will check frt. one tomorrow. Will try the plug chop suggested as soon as I can. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas,I am at my wits end. terrylee
        Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Here's another thought I had... is there something restricting the air intake? Too much oil on the filter or wrong filter or something like that? Or is there something restricting one or both of the mufflers? Grasping at straws here but just thinking of anything that could contribute...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Here's another thought I had... is there something restricting the air intake? Too much oil on the filter or wrong filter or something like that? Or is there something restricting one or both of the mufflers? Grasping at straws here but just thinking of anything that could contribute...
            Yeah, something is not letting enough fuel/air mixture in under load; probably time to check cam/crank timing to rule out errors here.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry new filter too, got from Bike Bandit, should be right one. Just lightly oiled and checked last time I had seat off and still looked right. Just took exhust off and couldn't find anything loose or stopping it up. How do I go about check cam timing? terrylee

Comment

Check the service manual for the cam timing

There are marks on the cams that need to align at TDC
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Will do, thanks terrylee

Comment

It has power!!!

Guys thanks so much for your help. I took the valve cover off today and checked the cam timing and it was right on. So took off advance mech. since I still couldn't seem to turn it. Sprayed it with more PB and still wouldn't turn, so tried turning it with channel locks, and it finally turned!! Cleaned up some and it now moves easily. Put it all back together, took it for a ride. OMG!! It had so much power I couldn't believe it! Wants to go as fast as you want and more, no problem hitting 70 and beyond in 5th and putting it in 6th gear shows no drop in power! I can't believe we drove this thing with that not working. I would have never figured it out if not for you guys on here! Made my day, week and maybe more! terrylee

Comment

That's awesome TL! Glad to see it all pay off.

Comment

Man that's great news!!! Your wife will be happy as Larry
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Can't thank you guys enough. Wife has to work late next couple of days, but can't wait for her to get on it. Already warned her to hang on! terrylee

Comment

Working...
                          X