gas leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas leak

I just put the carbs back on my 82 750 after removeing them for a cleaning and they are leaking alot of gas. I did not replace any parts or gaskets when i cleaned them. The fuel seems to come from the bowl/s on the right side. Could this be a simple gasket issue or something with the floats themselves. They never leaked before I messed with them, so now I need to fix my f-up. any suggestions?

If this is the first time you've done any work to the carbs, I would replace gaskets and o-rings just so you KNOW that they are good. Metal pieces should be fine and not need replacing if they aren't worn. In fact, most everyone here will tell you that keeping the old pieces is better than getting "new" stuff as most of the after market stuff is sub-par quality. If you got your "mega-welcome" be sure to go over it and abide by it. If you didn't get it, just search option for it. TONS of info in there.

When you are in there putting new o-rings and gaskets in, check them floats. Two birds, one stone.

Comment

If You disturbed the carb o-rings then it is likely that you destroyed the tenuous purchase they had on sealing the various parts of the carbs.

Disassemble and replace then you will at least know they should not be leaking.

Comment

Hi,

Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" in your other thread. Get an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com and use the carb rebuild tutorials on my website to get your carbs back in shape. When you are done cleaning and replacing the O-rings, the carbs will need a bench sync and float height adjustment. You need to replace the O-rings on the intake boots and maybe even the intake boots themselves. Seal the airbox so that there are no leaks in the air intake system. There is a guide for the air intake repair on my website. It's a 30 year old bike and needs lots of TLC.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X