A leak here, burning oil there and so on. 79 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    That line that goes to the T-fitting on your carb rack is the fuel line and the one that goes to the number 3 is your vacuum line. The larger connection on your petcock is fuel, the smaller is vac. Numbers 2 and 4 also have connections, but those are just breathers that vent to the atmosphere.

I'd clean the carbs just for peace of mind while you have them off. Even though they look clean (and could be, but it has been awhile and it was PO right?) all it takes is something to get stuck in a passage and hose everything up. What's more is that if he hadn't stabilized the fuel and let it sit for too long, it'd start to gum up in there and it'd call for a cleaning anyhow. It'll give you a chance to shine up the outsides too and make em pretty.

I just picked up some weather stripping from Lowe's for my air box. Run where it makes contact and it's good as can be.

One final note, I'd keep a fire extinguisher on hand if you have oil and fuel leaking through the exhaust. I'd hate to see a post about how it took to flame and burned your bike down.
    Ok great, so the whole gas situation was correct after all, though it still seems the petcock was leaking all the while. I put the key in before I tore the bike apart yesterday and Im pretty sure the gas meter read lower than just the day before, not cool at all.
    Yea, I will clean the carbs, I'll be taking them apart completely tomorrow I think, hopefully the gaskets and o rings come soon.
    Good to know about the weather stripping, but are you leaving the old rubber seal inside there as well and putting on the weather stripping? I saw a post somewhere with someone putting weather stripping instead of the old rubber seal on the bottom, but left the top part of the rubber in there. Seems like a good idea. '

Before I start up the bike once this is all over I'll be taking at part of my exhaust pipes off and try to let them drain out the liquids inside. I'll be buying new seals for the connections as well, even if their 20 bucks each, ridiculous.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by cloudkmr View Post
      Good to know about the weather stripping, but are you leaving the old rubber seal inside there as well and putting on the weather stripping? I saw a post somewhere with someone putting weather stripping instead of the old rubber seal on the bottom, but left the top part of the rubber in there. Seems like a good idea. '
      Chuck the complete rubber seals in the rubbish.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Chuck the complete rubber seals in the rubbish.
        The whole thing? the top dosent need to be sealed off from the bottom? On second thought, I could just put weatherstripping on the midle of the end pieces. Ok, will do. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cloudkmr View Post
          ...just put weatherstripping on the midle of the end pieces. Ok, will do. Thanks
          That's what I did. I had two pieces on the middle just to ensure a good contact. A single piece wasn't quite enough. It made it a real PITA to get the cover screwed back on, but it went with some pressure and it sealed up real nice.

Comment

Hi,

To give you an idea of what's necessary, here are a couple of links (PDF files) for you...

Air Intake Repair: Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement

Airbox Sealing

There's more on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X