Too Much Techron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Techron?

Is it possible to put too much Techron fuel treatment in the gas tank? My bike started to run a bit rough after I put some in the tank the second time. It was more than I used the first time - 2/3 of a bottle vs 1/3 of a bottle the first time I used it.

I'll try to provide an accurate break-down of what happened:

I took the remainder of the bottle of Techron I had with me to the gas station and dumped it in the tank. Then I filled the tank up with regular unleaded and went for a ride. The bike was running fine for a while, but then I noticed that it was idling a bit rough with an occasional backfire. It would also do this when creeping forward in 1st gear with no throttle or at part-throttle in 1st or 2nd.

The next morning, when I went to start it, the idle seemed rougher and the backfiring was more pronounced with the choke open. That was the first morning that the temperature had gotten down into the 60's, so I thought that might have had something to do with it. The engine did run a little smoother after warming up a bit, but it was still sputtering and backfiring like before.

That continued for the rest of the gas tank (which I got crappy mileage out of). I just put fresh fuel in the tank this evening after work and the problem seems to have gone away, but I didn't have a chance to check more extensively before heading home.

I'd like to get some thoughts from the experts. Could too much Techron in the fuel have been the culprit? Could I have damaged anything by having the Techron-to-fuel ratio too high? I'll have a better idea about whether the rough idle has stopped after I let the bike sit overnight and start it again in the morning, but I'd also like to hear what you guys/gals think.

A few sites say 1 oz. per gallon.

Comment

Errr, yeah. That was definitely more than 1 oz. per gallon. Hope I didn't mess anything up.

Comment

Probably not.
        It cleared itself.
        I had the same thing happen when I got a little too generous wit Seafoam.
        Was rough and missing a bit. But when ti did clear it was a screamer.

It may have been strong enough to dissolve a lot of heavy varnish that could have crept down and partly blocked the smaller orifices a bit. If so it would have dissolved anyway.

Its best to follow the directions and you will also get more bang for your buck.

Comment

Just curious as to what the plugs look like now? As for damaging a valve or something i highly doubt it..Remember that stammering and sputtring in an otherwise was running ok engine is telling me that the techtron wasnt allowing full detonation of the gas..thus running the cylinders way cool. Cylinder heat aids very much in the vaporization of the atomized gas for combustion purposes.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Probably not.
            It cleared itself.
            I had the same thing happen when I got a little too generous wit Seafoam.
            Was rough and missing a bit. But when ti did clear it was a screamer.

It may have been strong enough to dissolve a lot of heavy varnish that could have crept down and partly blocked the smaller orifices a bit. If so it would have dissolved anyway.

Its best to follow the directions and you will also get more bang for your buck.
            Yeah, I guess I was just being impatient. I had stuffed the bottle in the pocket for the back protector in my jacket and didn't feel like riding around with it anymore. So I figured "Let's just dump the rest of the bottle in there."

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Just curious as to what the plugs look like now? As for damaging a valve or something i highly doubt it..Remember that stammering and sputtring in an otherwise was running ok engine is telling me that the techtron wasnt allowing full detonation of the gas..thus running the cylinders way cool. Cylinder heat aids very much in the vaporization of the atomized gas for combustion purposes.
            I'll check to see if the plugs have fouled tomorrow or Sunday. Can fouled plugs be cleaned? I'll be kicking myself if I have to replace them already; they're brand new.

For proper usage of Techron, would you guys recommend adding 1 oz. per gallon for every tank-full until the bottle is empty? Or should the initial treatment suffice for a while?

Comment

I was running a lot of Marine Stabil(same stuff), and dumping a lot of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank.

I never noticed the slightest hiccup in my 650.

But I guess every bike is slightly different, so anythings possible.
              Sounds like it might be tipping your Idle Mixture a little bit?

Comment

You're killing me here man. What's wrong with reading the can?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The can said to pour an entire bottle in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                    Okay, got me. How about using some common sense?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                      Yes you are right but I if I remember that stuff it's talking about a car-sized tank - about 16 gallons. You don't want that much in our small tanks.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If it is running ok now ? Just ride it !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Okay, got me. How about using some common sense?
                          I hear it's getting harder to find now-a-days as not many stores are keeping it in stock... You can't blame people for not using it when they can't find it.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale...I got 2 cases of NOS common sense off Ebay. They are 12 count cases so i got 24 extra doses at my disposal. They are marked " if opened use the entire can at one time" Just as the guys can said to dump the entire can into the tank. The basic differences according to the labels is this...Most people that reach the point of running out of common sense usually need an entire can. A gasoline engine only needs the recommended MIXING dosage stated on the label. I sure wish i could help and donate a can of commonn sense but right now i have enough sense left to know that at some point i will need all of it i can get. I willl just keep this NOS stuff on the shelf.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The OP made a bit of a mistake. The world did not end.
                              Common sense has nowt to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X