Fuel running out of the front of my carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel running out of the front of my carb

I have fuel running out of the front of #2 carb, out of the hole / orifice opposite the pilot air jet. It's the one that nobody removes when soaking a carb. What could cause that? I can't find it called out anywhere on mikuni diagrams. There's an orifice there though. Stuck float?

Check your petcock vacuum line for gas.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Here's some information I've collected...

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, I took a spare carb body I had laying around, and put a little bit of carb cleaner down the hole that's peeing gas, and it came out in the main jet/emulsion tube cavity. So maybe a stuck float is letting fuel rise up the main well and pee out the hole?

Cliff, I checked out your link. Still thinking about it.

Comment

If your bike is peeing gas while running, what I've seen several times is that gunk from the insides of a corroded old petcock gets down into the carbs and props open the float valves.

An intact petcock has a very efficient fuel filter built in, so gunk from the tank usually doesn't get to the carbs; however any bits of corrosion from inside the petcock have a direct shot to the carbs. This usually happens when someone moves the petcock handle after it's been undisturbed for years.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This bike has never run. It's fresh off a carb rebuild. I have 7 inlet valves, and it was a bit of mis/match since none were labeled. I used the 4 best looking ones. I think I'll pull the carb today and replace the inlet valve.

Comment

It's confirmed. My float valves are leaking. I have been in leaky carb hell all afternoon. I have the carbs setup on the bench, level both planes, and have been replacing float needles one by one. I still have two leaky carbs. Nothing seems to work.

How important is the fluid level checking as on cliff's howto? I set the floats as on the howto, but I had to bend all the tabs to do it. I've never had to bend tabs that much before either. But I did all the carbs the same, and the other two aren't leaking.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hi,

Float levels are important. They cut off the fuel supply when the bowls are full. That way the carbs don't overflow. Too low of a fuel level and the cylinder can run lean.

Sometimes the float valves (needles and/or seats) can be worn just enough that they will leak but not enough for you to see it with the naked eye. Or it could be that the parts in aftermarket "carb kits" are inferior and not to spec. Replacement with genuine Suzuki OEM parts is recommended. See: Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X