Rejetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting

I am rebuilding the carbs on my 1978gs 750. I will need to rejet, and I believe now is the time to do it. This bike was not running when I bought it. that is an understatement. It sat for 15 years. The exhaust is completely rotted. I plan to replace it with a 4 into 1 pipe. There were mice living in the air box. I plan to replace it with pods because I like that open look. The carb rebuild is going well so far, but I need help with the rejetting. I could not find a DynoJet stage 3 kit for my bike. Is there a tutorial on rejetting? to be honest, I am not sure exactly what components I would be replacing, let alone how to select or install them. Can anyone help me? I know one of you gurus can!

Thanks!

A starting point... 125 mains, clip on the needle fourth down from the top, air screws 1-3/4 turns, fuel 1 turn.

***edit*** I would order 122.5 mains as well as the 125's
    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have pods and 4-1 on the same bike. Right now I have 122.5 mains, needle on 4th clip, and 17.5 pilot jets.

I am still working out idle kinks with fuel screws at 1 turn out and air screws out 2 turns and change. Mine seems to run a touch rich, but I suspect the coils. After a relay mod, it should be easier to dial in the mixture.

I also suspect that 125 or 127 mains will be necessary, so you should consider picking up a few different sizes to be sure.

Comment

hey guys,
        I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have a '77 gs400. cant find a jet kit either. The PO put on a 2-1 exhaust and replaced the airbox with a single pod and pvc tee fitting(sprayed black of course) connected to the carbs. it has never been rejetted. My understanding is that the 400 is half of a 750- if I ditch the pvc fitting and just install two pod filters, could I use these same setting as starting point ? or if Im way off, any tips/ suggestions for rejetting my bike? The carbs are stock BS34's.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by charbot View Post
          hey guys,
          I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have a '77 gs400. cant find a jet kit either. The PO put on a 2-1 exhaust and replaced the airbox with a single pod and pvc tee fitting(sprayed black of course) connected to the carbs. it has never been rejetted. My understanding is that the 400 is half of a 750- if I ditch the pvc fitting and just install two pod filters, could I use these same setting as starting point ? or if Im way off, any tips/ suggestions for rejetting my bike? The carbs are stock BS34's.

Thanks
          Hi charbot!
          A suggestion... I'm willing to bet you'll get many more replies to your jetting issue if you start a separate thread. I love to read all I can about jetting but with two issues in the same thread my brain might overheat.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

No problem, wasnt sure of the forum etiquette.

Comment

Originally posted by charbot View Post
              The carbs are stock BS34's.
              How about stock VMs?

The BS carbs weren't used until 1980
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

youre right, the '77-78 400 (and 425's) had bs carbs not vm, so I guess these setting are not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by snyderman View Post
                  I am rebuilding the carbs on my 1978gs 750. I will need to rejet, and I believe now is the time to do it. This bike was not running when I bought it. that is an understatement. It sat for 15 years. The exhaust is completely rotted. I plan to replace it with a 4 into 1 pipe. There were mice living in the air box. I plan to replace it with pods because I like that open look. The carb rebuild is going well so far, but I need help with the rejetting. I could not find a DynoJet stage 3 kit for my bike. Is there a tutorial on rejetting? to be honest, I am not sure exactly what components I would be replacing, let alone how to select or install them. Can anyone help me? I know one of you gurus can!

Thanks!
                  Don't buy anything until you know what you have in there now. Stock main jet is 102.5 and pilot fuel jet is 15.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

She'll run with the numbers given. jetted enough of them to know.

Comment

Thanks!

Where is a good place to buy the jets?

Comment

Z1.... http://www.z1enterprises.com/SearchR...=mikuni%20jets

Comment

Good info on the jet sizes guys!!!

I also have a modified/tinkered 78 750.

I'm thinking about jetting as well.

Comment

Thanks! This has been most helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                              I have pods and 4-1 on the same bike. Right now I have 122.5 mains, needle on 4th clip, and 17.5 pilot jets.
                              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Is this the pilot jet I need?

Comment

Working...
                              X