Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling the carbs with gas after cleaning

Hey all,

After the carbs have been cleaned and put back on the bike, how do you get it to start again and what should i look out for?

I've read in other threads that the petcock should be in prime only when filling the carbs. Is this the right procedure? How long should it stay in Prime?

DO i turn the throttle while it's in PRIME or will the gas flow in by itself? How long should it take before the engine turns over?

If it doesn't turn over; possible problems?

Check the petcock on Prime and make sure fuel flows.
    Let the bowls fill for a few minutes before trying to start.
    Make sure the idle screw has the throttle butterflies open a little or it will never start.
    Use choke only.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Since these bikes use a gravity feed fuel system (no fuel pump) twisting the throttle while the engine is not running does nothing to feed fuel to the carbs.

The PRIME position allows gravity to drop the fuel into the carb bowls (manually opens the valve). The other positions require the engine to be running to create a vacuum which opens the petcock. Other than those situations where you must manually fill the carb bowls, always leave the petcock in the RUN (or RESERVE) position. When you turn off the engine, vacuum is no longer supplied to the petcock, the valve is closed, and fuel is no longer being delivered to the carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you aren't getting gas flow on prime, you might need to turn the bike over a couple times to get it to start flowing. Once the gas starts flowing it should fill the carbs in a minute or so wihtout needing to crank any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
          If you aren't getting gas flow on prime, you might need to turn the bike over a couple times to get it to start flowing. Once the gas starts flowing it should fill the carbs in a minute or so wihtout needing to crank any further.
          Great Movie!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yay it worked!

Finally something worked that i did. i will take any small accomplishment right now, lol.
            Thanks all!

Comment

fuel leaking out

So the bike had been parked for a while now.
              Got it to start.
              Got the idle down.
              I've been busy all week and I'm moving so I still haven't bought and replaced the intake boots.

I hopped on it today to go around the block. But it started to falter in the idle.
              Fuel is leaking out of the 3rd carb, left to right, sitting on the bike. Help

Also it seems more oil is coming from another gasket leak. The next one down right below the head cover gasket. Which one is that does anyone know? I'm checking out the fiche, now, but if anyone knows already that would be helpful.

I don't think any of the gaskets have been replaced in forever. Just eyeballing it and the burnt on oil around it makes me think I need to do that too.

Does that involve removing the chain tensioner?
              Looks like a project and a half~

Comment

Overflowing fuel is most often a result of a stuck carb float. You can try banging on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle to see if the float settles down otherwise you need to pull the carbs off and figure out what's wrong.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The gasket below the valve cover gasket is the head gasket. Means removing the camshafts and retiming them, and maybe pulling the timing chain tensioner. Its hard to pull the head without disturbing the base gasket and ruining the seal, but not impossible. How many miles are on the bike and how is the compression? Does it burn oil?

Comment

I have 3 diff. gangs of carb.s when I go from one to the other , I drain the one I take OFF (bowls). than I take off the (bolts at the bottom of the float bowlgt it it ?!) and let the fuel show it's face.if there is a better way to do this,let me knowI'm sure there is . P.S I like the smell of gasand the drip on my hand..

Comment

you like the smell of gas??

Originally posted by willys 55 View Post
                      I have 3 diff. gangs of carb.s when I go from one to the other , I drain the one I take OFF (bowls). than I take off the (bolts at the bottom of the float bowlgt it it ?!) and let the fuel show it's face.if there is a better way to do this,let me knowI'm sure there is . P.S I like the smell of gasand the drip on my hand..
                      Lol. You like the smell of gas huh? Judging by the typos I'd say maybe you like the smell too much?

Does your carbs have drains or a drain cap?

The drip on your hand huh? lol

Comment

Working...
                      X