Giant noob here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant noob here

Never really biked ever, but got an 80's GS550L from my landlord today. Got to taking the bike apart to give it a nice carb refresh (my uncle did a lot of motorcycle stuff, so I know the basics); I gave her a soak in some carb dip and de-gunked all of the passages and jets and such. Carb seems to be in good, working condition after a good rubdown. The bad side: I can't get the carb back on the bike... I spent 20 minutes getting it OFF, a "tutorial" I found on how to get it off basically had me heave it off of the air box boots and the intake boots, and due to the age and brittleness of the boots, I don't think I'm going to be able to get this thing back on without removing something.

It doesn't seem like there is a way to get the airbox off that would help me in any way, the 1-to-4 air supplier only detaches via 4 screws that I couldn't screw back on with the carbs in place, and the entire airbox itself is held on with a few phillips tabs. I stripped the hell out of one screw, but the other comes off fine. It doesn't seem like removing that would really help though, as the airbox would have maybe 1/2-1 inch of play to it if I removed it.

I've been toiling over the computer trying to find some info, but I've got nothing. I assume I've come to the right place.

TL;DR-- help me get my carbs back on my bike

"I've been toiling over the computer trying to find some info, but I've got nothing. I assume I've come to the right place."

Yep, you have. But tell us more. " 80's " ? so four seperate carbs, or two carbs with two throats each? The japanese didn't make it easy to get at things, but someone will show up and offer clues.
    Welcome to the world of 30 year old bike maintenance- I hope your uncle is still available, or at least has left you his patience!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not exactly sure how your bike is set up, but I will assume it's close to my '86 550E. I remove the battery box so I can slide the airbox back a bit further plus I remove the two screws to the tank so I can raise the back up so the airbox doesn't get caught on the petcock. If your carb boots are that old and brittle you may want to think about changing them. If they dont seal properly, any type of air leak the bike will not run properly.

Comment

I will offer a and a second to nooblet's suggestion of moving the battery box.

Then, I will offer a question: What the heck is "TL;DR"?

Most of us have found that ALL of the keys on our keyboard work, so we tend to use them.

Texting "shortcuts" just don't work for some of us old fogeys.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

TL;DR is internet slang for "Too Long; Didn't Read." He's saying if you don't feel like reading the whole post, you can get the gist from the last line. He'll soon learn how much detail the folks on here need to be able to help him with his particular problem :-)

Those old airbox and intake boots probably need to be replaced (along with the o-rings between the intake boots and the head, if your bike has them). Some grease on the boots will help slide them back on the carbs as well. Good luck from a fellow n00b!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias44 View Post
            TL;DR is internet slang for "Too Long; Didn't Read."
            Then it should be TL;DCTRIA
            Too long; don't care to read it all.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I hate to break it to you but "TL;DR" won't be a popular statement here. Basscliff will be along soon to dump an amazing amount of useful info that, if you choose to read it all, will give you the solution to your problem. I promise. If for some reason you still need help, make sure to include the year and model of your bike (sig line is a great place), and include some evidence that you've at least attempted to look it up first. THEN, you will find that folks are friendly, helpful, even witty. And you'll have a bike that runs better than you ever inagined it would, usually with less expense than you thought it would take. Hopefully you've read this far lol jk rofl etc etc

Comment

My first thought (having gone through the same fight on an '80 550L I once had) was, are you trying to get the carbs back in there with the strap clamps wrapped around the boots? I found that the only easier way, aside from removing the battery box so you can scoot the airbox back a bit...which I also did, was to have those straps off while reinstalling the carbs. It's a very difficult thing to try and feed them back around the boots with the carbs on, but that was the only way I could make it happen back then.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Some grease on the boots will help slide them back on the carbs as well. Good luck from a fellow n00b!
                  I second this.
                  I had put brand new boots and the carb was just fighting like heck.
                  I dipped my finger into some fresh motor oil and just gave the tiniest bit put lube on the edges of the boot and it slid in 10x easier.
                  but if the boots are brittle I would replace them ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    The japanese didn't make it easy to get at things, but someone will show up and offer clues.

You never hear THEM complaining that they can't get their small, child-size hands in to all the nooks and crannies...

Comment

Originally posted by HatchA74 View Post
                      You never hear THEM complaining that they can't get their small, child-size hands in to all the nooks and crannies...
                      hmm, have you not heard of seppuku?

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                        hmm, have you not heard of seppuku?

Yeah, suicide usually performed ritually with hara kiri (stomach cutting).

Not quite the same as fiddling with a rear master cylinder with your fingers twisted six ways from Sunday...

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          My first thought (having gone through the same fight on an '80 550L I once had) was, are you trying to get the carbs back in there with the strap clamps wrapped around the boots? I found that the only easier way, aside from removing the battery box so you can scoot the airbox back a bit...which I also did, was to have those straps off while reinstalling the carbs. It's a very difficult thing to try and feed them back around the boots with the carbs on, but that was the only way I could make it happen back then.
                          I wound up doing this on my GS850 as well. Its also helpful to take the side covers off the airbox so you can manipulate the boots from the inside as well. Having said that, there's not much of a substitute for new boots.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Ge30,

Have a look at this, Air Intake Repair: Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement. I know it's not exactly the same bike, but you'll get the idea. Sometimes you can loosen the rear fender, then slide the airbox back another inch or so to give you a little extra room to manipulate the carbs.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

TL;DR is internet slang for "Too Long; Didn't Read." He's saying if you don't feel like reading the whole post, you can get the gist from the last line.
                              Well, there's a BIG problem with that.

If it was so long that you didn't bother to read it, how would you get to the last line to "get the gist"?

And one other point: what is so long about that post? There are some guys here that have a sig line longer than that.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X