vm26 carb overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vm26 carb overflow

It has happened 2x so far in just as many weeks. My bike sits with petcock closed, I open it and after a short time #2 carb starts to overflow. I have removed the bowls, doesnt seem to have sticky floats.. ideas?

BTW I have rebuilt these carbs a couple months ago and hadnt had leaks..
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

If the floats arent sticking, then it may be the float seat itself or the float valve ( needle) has scoring and not sealing properly. How was the float heights when you rebuilt them. Be sure to note that there are two floats in each carb and you need to check both of them when doing the float hiehgts.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

thanks for the quick response. I only measured one side, so i will have to remeasure. The valves were new also. but I will check the seats, maybe dibris?
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
        My bike sits with petcock closed, I open it ...
        Do you have the stock petcock?

It sounds like you don't, because there is no "opening the petcock" procedure, other than starting the engine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

correct. it isnt a stock petcock.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

That's a pretty sure sign of either a sicking/sunk float or a bad float seal. Usually it's also accompanied by rough running, flooding, and/or running rich.

Comment

carb overflow update

Well, took some time the other day and pulled the carbs out and apart. I found bits of black rubber in some of the float bowls, and a piece that decided to inhibit the float valve from closing. The rubber is from my fuel line, I noticed some abrasion on the inside where the barb connections were made. I will be switching to tygon clear line.
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X