awoke from 15 year nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awoke from 15 year nap

I'm in the process of bringing a '81 GS850G back to life after sitting idle for the last 16 years. I've done a crude cleaning of the carbs just so I could fire the bike up and evaluate what I've got. During this clean up, I had to replace one needle jet and main jet that broke during disassembly. I also had to JB Weld one float post that I broke as well. Last night, with the aid of jumper cables and a can of starting fluid, I did get it running. I ran it on and off for 30 minutes or so and was generally pleased. Keep in mind I'm using a soda bottle as a gas tank because my tank's sitting in the corner with mineral spirits in it. As I'm running the bike I notice I'm getting quite a bit of fuel running/leaking from the carbs. In hind-site I recall having a hard time getting the needle valves out and I'm sure I bent them somewhat. Also, are the float needles themselves spring loaded? I seem to recall one of them having a spring effect where is meets the float, the others not so much. I assumming the float needle valves are my problem and will being replacing them before I attempt another run of the engine. Also, as I'm rehabbing my tank, I'm having a hard time finding an oem petcock filter. Anyone have a spare or a good source?

Randy
    Columbia, MO

Basscliff will be along shortly for your official welcome (and tons of info). But all 4 floats should have that "springy" effect. If not, the float needles are probably gummed up.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Good luck with the bike. Carbs are a big part of getting the bike happy. When you open them up again, be sure of your float levels. A good overnight soak in Carb dip and new o -rings may do wonders.

Once the carbs are worked out...
      Next thing to look at its checking for air leaks. The major leak on these bikes is the o-ring s between the head and the intake tubes. The screws are a pain to get out, I used a drift punch to give each screw a good rap sideways, then they came out with little resistance.

Basscliff's site is a great resource, I'm sure he will be along shortly with a big welcome. The o -rings you will need are linked on his site.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

It's an air-cooled bike so don't run it too long at a time unless you are actually moving so there is airflow over the engine.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by rantsc View Post
          Also, are the float needles themselves spring loaded?
          Yes...
          soaking them in a carb dip will do wonders in freeing them up (as well as soaking the rest of the parts in it, some new o-rings that you'll need to overhaul the carbs with. Hint-Hint...)
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. rantsc,

You will find lots of GS850G lovin' on my little website. Please read all of the information contained in the links below. Doing so will save you lots of time and frustration. You've got a 30 year old bike that needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Please don't take any shortcuts so that you and your bike can be insanely happy.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I've done a crude cleaning of the carbs just so I could fire the bike up and evaluate what I've got. I also had to JB Weld one float post that I broke as well. I ran it on and off for 30 minutes or so and was generally pleased. Are the float needles themselves spring loaded? I'm having a hard time finding an oem petcock filter.
              If this thing has been sitting for 16 years, you've gone about as far as I would go for now. You've heard it run and are pleased with it. I think I would buy another complete set of matching carbs. That will give you all the parts you need. Forget the eBay rebuild kits and get an o-ring set, intake o-rings, and intake screws from http://www.cycleorings.com/intake.html. Do a proper soaking and cleaning, then adjust the valves. Not sure you can buy the filter separately. May have to buy a new petcock.

Comment

Pic's of the bike?

Daniel

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

............ Also, are the float needles themselves spring loaded?..
                    Yes, As RustyBronco said.

THe spring is inside that float needle to spring load that little pin that stickes out the bottom against the float.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Yes, As RustyBronco said.

THe spring is inside that float needle to spring load that little pin that stickes out the bottom against the float.
                      As motorcycles bounce around, I believe that the spring and post on the needle act as a shock absorber.
                      Otherwise, the float would be opening and closing the valve all of the time.

If it is stuck, try to spray some brake cleaner in the hole the pin goes in and working it until it moves freely.
                      I have been successful almost all of the time with freeing them up.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                      X