No announcement yet.

Just bought an ultra sonic cleaner for carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love mine. I have a smaller one, 4.1 qts I think with a heater. It was $125 shipped on ebay. It only holds one carb at a time but I break down my carb racks anyway. The US cleaner I use I got off of ebay for de-greasing parts and it has a corrosion preventative in the solution. They do a good job but it wont work miracles. Chem dip your carbs first then US clean them.. Will keep you US solution cleaner and last longer. Be sure you don't use solvents that might catch fire, heat and vibration = combustible vapors. If I forget to turn mine off with the heat on the solution evaporates quickly. I use 160 degrees.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Ok, just took delivery of my 2.5 gallon Ultra sonic cleaner. Looks great......I'm going to start by cleaning carbs from my GT 380 Suzuki two stroke triple. Online info suggests I use an alkaline solution as it will turn grease into a soapy substance.

My question is........what is an alkaline solution that is available in Canada? I have been thinking of something like Simple Green.

Cheers, Paul
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Simple Green is corrosive so be careful; dilute it with water at minimum.

Would love to see some before and after photos.

Enjoy!
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm hoping one of our resident chemists can direct me to the right alkaline solution for grease. I realize the solution to use depends on what the part is soiled with & what the part is made of. I wouldn't want to discolour the aluminum for instance.
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
            My question is........what is an alkaline solution that is available in Canada? I have been thinking of something like Simple Green.

Cheers, Paul
            Draino or Red Devil drain cleaners.

are you certain the alkaline solution wont harm zinc diecast?
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I can put 2 VM26 bodies in a gallon can of berrymans at a time. Seems all this high faluting and expensive gadgetry ( to me ) is a waste since you gotta use so called" solutions" anyways. Heres an idea for ya..why not buy 2 gallons of berrymans just across the border and dump them in and soak your carbs..you wont have to plug in the machine and youll save money on your electrical bills.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Oh come on.........I can soak carbs in 10,000 gallons of Berrymans & it won't equal the power of an ultra sonic cleaner with the proper solution. I can buy lots of different kinds of solutions depending on the material being cleaned for a fraction of the cost of a gallon of Berrymans. An US cleaner will clean in areas that the Berrymans can only dream of.

It's just foolish to think otherwise.

Comment

Nasty, when can I start sending you some carbs?
                  I have about 20-28 that could use a bath.
                  Ultra-sonic, of course! I want them CLEAN.

Daniel

Comment

Ultra smonik hydroponic...hogwash. Berrymans gets every nook and cranny just as well as any ultrasonic ever has or ever will. You know it and I know it. Doesnt matter if berrymans or ultrasonic..you still have to follow up with all the usuall rinses and flushing with carb spray and compressed air. Also gotta poke all the holes in the pilots and emulsion tubes etc etc. To believe that all you do is take them out of an ulttra sonic and they are perfect is nothing less than dillusional fiction.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ultrasonic cleaners should be nice for black painted carbs right? Carb dip strips off the paint and makes them look like pooh.

Personally, I like the idea of using tech instead of chemicals, only I'm too cheap to spend the money for one of those cleaners.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tech doesnt always mean it removes any of the necessary steps or is better.. Yeah they are a lot faster at breaking the crud down but thats ( to me ) the only real advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Ultra smonik hydroponic...hogwash. Berrymans gets every nook and cranny just as well as any ultrasonic ever has or ever will. You know it and I know it. Doesnt matter if berrymans or ultrasonic..you still have to follow up with all the usuall rinses and flushing with carb spray and compressed air. Also gotta poke all the holes in the pilots and emulsion tubes etc etc. To believe that all you do is take them out of an ulttra sonic and they are perfect is nothing less than dillusional fiction.
                          Chuck, throw some greasy rags in a bucket of detergent and water and let it sit.
                          Throw a similar bunch of greasy rags in a bucket of detergent and agitate it for the same amount of time.
                          Which do you think is going to get CLEANER?

Daniel

Comment

Doesnt have crap to do with rags or water..the ultra sonic just breaks the stuff down faster and thats all the major difference is...faster and not about which is cleaner. And by the way, thats just how we CLEANED our grease soaked mechanics jump suit when we were done pulling an engine on a tank or whatever. A 5 gallon bucket with a bottle of MR. Clean and soaked over night ( just like Berrymens for clothes ). Then a simple wash ( carb spray and compressed air reference ) and they were done. Im glad he got the machine..good on him if he thinks the machine is a one stop and your done event..thats pure fantasy.

Comment

You have obviously never seen or used one.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                                You have obviously never seen or used one.

Daniel
                                Yep, an US will clean in ways carb dip never will. The bubbles get forced thru the smallest passageways, scouring all the crud & varnish along the way. They work on the "cavitation" effect. Here's a simple explanation.

"When there are teeny, tiny little particles that are impossible to remove by other methods of cleaning then an ultrasonic cleaner is used.

Ultrasonic cleaners uses cavitation, which occurs when tiny bubbles form and collapse violently in a cleaning solution. The constantly forming and popping bubbles serves as a scrubbing agent that in turn cleans all parts, hidden and exterior, of the article submerged in the solution. Increasing the frequency means the bubbles are created at a faster rate which makes the energy released from each bursting bubble lower. This in turn equates to the perfect condition to remove small particles without damaging the object.

The way the bubbles are created is to simply introduce ultrasonic sound waves, which is basically high intensity and frequency sound waves, into a liquid. The way a jewelry cleaner works is that it has a small tank that holds the cleaning solution, a transducer which serves to convert electrical energy to mechanical energy, and then a generator that is ultrasonic and is capable of crating an electrical signal at a high frequency.

There are many benefits of ultrasonic cleaning that include speed, precision, and consistency. First of all, speed is important because ultrasonic cleaning allows many things to be cleaned without being taken apart. That goes for jewelry to large assemblies. Not taking the assemblies apart to clean them results in a significantly faster cleaning time because no labor is involved not to mention it saves money as well.

Precision is another benefit and an important one. Ultrasonic cleaning works because it can get in every little crevice, crack, and space to clean it properly and not only does it leave jewelry looking more beautiful than ever it also cleans assemblies and parts very well, too.

The final benefit is consistency and ultrasonic cleaning ranks up there because it provides an unparalleled cleaning every single time without fail for all pieces big or little, complex, or simple."

Once I get the best solution for carbs figured out, I will definitely be offering my services to my fellow GSR's

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X