No announcement yet.

Carb Rebuild Complete - Dies on throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, that is some amazing information right there. Exactly what I was after.
    CR480 - Top info there mate. I'll do just that..

Pete...where did you get your jets from? Looking for an Aussie supplier.

Cheers

Comment

Oh one more thing, is it common to replace all 3 jets ? ( Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Air jet) ?
      Or is normally just the Main Jet ?

also, how does one convert the numbers from dynojet to the minkuni numbers?
      Example

Stage 3 kit comes with :

4 Main Jet DJ114
      4 Main Jet DJ118
      4 Main Jet DJ165
      4 Main Jet DJ170
      4 Fuel Needle DNO405
      4 Adjusting Washer DW0001
      4 E-clips DE0001
      4 Main Air Jets DCO301
      1 Slide Drill DD #7/64
      1 Plug Drill DD #5/32
      1 Screw DS000

Do I need all those??

Thanks for help.

Comment

With just pods you will use the smaller mains and all the other parts. You can probably adjust the factory Pilot Jets to suit. If you need them you have to buy them from a dealer or Z1Enterprises (my choice). They are around $2 each.

Comment

Ok I'm still confused.

The Stage 3 Kit comes with stage 1 components too...thats why there are 2 small jets and 2 large jets.

So I'm running pods and an exhaust, so I'm assuming I'll need to change the Main jets from what I currently have (stock 115) to 122.5, which is 3 sizes up ? (surely 170 is too large?)

I'm currently running a #40 pilot jet (i also have a #45 that came with my rebuild kit) does that need to be changed too?

With the air jet, does that need to be changed at all ?

I'm way out of my depth here guys, have no idea what needs to go up/down in order to compensate pods and exhaust.
          So many threads where so many people have tried different things, but there has been nothing conclusive or rock solid with a "winning" solution!

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
            Ok I'm still confused.

I'm way out of my depth here guys, have no idea what needs to go up/down in order to compensate pods and exhaust.
            So many threads where so many people have tried different things, but there has been nothing conclusive or rock solid with a "winning" solution!
            I still have the stock setup on my bike so I can't answer how to fix yours. However, this last statement of yours is why so many people on here tell everyone else to start with a stock set up first to ensure the bike runs correctly. THEN, and only then, should anyone start to change things from there as there just isn't a right answer. You have to adjust things based on your bike, what you intend to do, and it takes a whole lot of testing to get it right.

Good luck. I hope you can figure it out without having too many headaches.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, I'm going to throw another monkey wrench into the conversation. My son's little '79 GS425 was switched to pods (Emgo) but kept the stock exhaust. We had bought these long before we realized the issues people have with the Emgo pods.

So on our first shot at using these, we decided to try and adjust the amount of air (too much) going into the intake. We did this by attaching some thin foam material with zip ties covering about 70% of the outside of the pods. Amazingly, it worked!! He's ridden the bike all last summer with no issues at all. Now I'm not advocating this as a solution, but it might be worth 15 minutes of fiddling just to see.

PS...the earlier advice offered by others before me is the right way to go. Just take your time as it's not that hard...just frustrating some times.
              sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
              1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
              1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
              1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
              1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
              1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
              1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
              1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Ok I'm still confused.

The Stage 3 Kit comes with stage 1 components too...thats why there are 2 small jets and 2 large jets.

So I'm running pods and an exhaust, so I'm assuming I'll need to change the Main jets from what I currently have (stock 115) to 122.5, which is 3 sizes up ? (surely 170 is too large?)

I'm currently running a #40 pilot jet (i also have a #45 that came with my rebuild kit) does that need to be changed too?

With the air jet, does that need to be changed at all ?

OK. The kit for your bike does show both stage 1 and stage 3 jets. With pods and performance exhaust you have a stage 3 setup. Here is what it showed for your 83 gs1100
                4 Main Jet DJ132
                4 Main Jet DJ138
                You will need a set of 138 and a set one size up = 140 main jets to get started. I would install the 140 jets first as they are most likely to run well with your setup. Leave the primary jets alone for now. Start by only changing the main jets and setting the mixture screws. Once installed and running, Test bike. then adjust the mixture screws as I explianed earlier, test bike. It is important to make only one change at a time when tuning carbs, make the change and test the bike's performance after each change. If you do not achieve better performance after making an adjustment, go back to where you where before the adjustment. If it won't idle at all after you have made the mixture screw adjustments but runs well when on the throttle you may want to go the larger primary jet but I doubt you will have to. Once you have a decent running bike try raising the needles up one slot and test the bike, if it pulls harder, try going up one more and test bike, if the bike is slower go back the other way. Do this until you achieve the most powerful settings. If the bike bogs while on throttle after changing the main jets, test the jetting by reading the plugs as i explained earlier, Black and sooty = too large of a main jet.
                Bone white = too small of a main jet Light brown + you nailed it! Move up or down in jet sizes 1 size at a time as needed. Those 140's will get you very close but don't be surpised if your bike wants 142's or even larger as pods and performance exhaust is the most free flowing setup for the street. it will depend on your engines overall condition wether it needs more or less fuel from your main jets.

Comment

Ok I'm still confused.

You might be to get the main jetting close, you may even have adjustable needles. what you don't have is the correct needle taper and don't know what size hole to drill in the slides.

I think you need to revisit post #5.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                    OK, I'm going to throw another monkey wrench into the conversation. My son's little '79 GS425 was switched to pods (Emgo) but kept the stock exhaust. We had bought these long before we realized the issues people have with the Emgo pods.

So on our first shot at using these, we decided to try and adjust the amount of air (too much) going into the intake. We did this by attaching some thin foam material with zip ties covering about 70% of the outside of the pods. Amazingly, it worked!! He's ridden the bike all last summer with no issues at all. Now I'm not advocating this as a solution, but it might be worth 15 minutes of fiddling just to see.

PS...the earlier advice offered by others before me is the right way to go. Just take your time as it's not that hard...just frustrating some times.
                    It worked because you restricted the airflow going into your carbs in a similar amount that the stock air box had before it was removed. this will enrichen the fuel mixture and cancel out the lean condition created by installing the free flowing pod filters. less air more fuel = richer mixture
                    More air less fuel = Lean mixture all engines require a balanced and proportionate fuel - air mixture to run properly and stay cool.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      You might be to get the main jetting close, you may even have adjustable needles. what you don't have is the correct needle taper and don't know what size hole to drill in the slides.

I think you need to revisit post #5.
                      The needle taper point is interesting to me. I have done many rejets and have used thier kits many times with decent results. As time went on I stopped using the kits and rejetted on my own. I achieved better results on my own and saved many dollars doing so. If you look at thier kits. they use the same needles wether you are running pods or not. I have never been able to actually feel a difference between the two. If the needles truly need to be optimized for pod filters I doubt that they would be optimal for a Stage 1 kit -stock airbox setup with an aftermarket filter. If you send your bike to a shop for performance jetting they are not going to install a kit. They will almost always avoid the extra cost and rejet manually. Proper jetting with stock needles will not make bike run lean. I fail to see the major compromise here between the 2. Can someone help clear this up for me? Much appreciated.

Comment

Example

Stage 3 kit comes with :

4 Main Jet DJ114
                        4 Main Jet DJ118
                        4 Main Jet DJ165
                        4 Main Jet DJ170
                        4 Fuel Needle DNO405
                        4 Adjusting Washer DW0001
                        4 E-clips DE0001
                        4 Main Air Jets DCO301
                        1 Slide Drill DD #7/64
                        1 Plug Drill DD #5/32
                        1 Screw DS000
                        Just so you know: the 165s and 170s are NOT "main jets".

They are the "pilot air jets" that go into the carb intake throat at about the 8 o'clock position.

Referring back to one of your earlier posts about the bike stalling when throttle was applied: did you have any filters on at the time?
                        As you have seen, the jetting needs to be changed for the type of filter that you have. If you have NO filter on the intake of the carbs, the bike WILL stall, unless you have the carbs jetted for that situation.

Regarding ct480's post about lean jetting running hotter. VERY TRUE, but for synchronizing the carbs, you are not getting into the main jet, so your jetting is still controlled by the PILOT FUEL JET and the PILOT AIR JET making a mixture, which is then controlled by the IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT SCREW. Usually, those jets are left stock, although some DJ kits have a "correction sleeve" that is inserted into the air jet to richen up the pilot mixture a bit.

When you did your "full rebuild and carb teardown", did you replace the intake boots between the carbs and the engine? If you have a bit of an air leak there, it might account for your "hanging idle". I was going to do the standard suggestion of changing your intake o-rings, but your bike does not have them.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I for one cannot clear this up for you. I don't have the ability to bench flow a set of carbs.

I do know the taper is different between the stock needles and the ones in the dyno jet.

when jetting for pods, what have 'you' done to increase the fuel supplied during part throttle operation? did you change spring tension on the slides?
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            If you have NO filter on the intake of the carbs, the bike WILL stall, unless you have the carbs jetted for that situation.
                            Really? What am I doing wrong???

Daniel

Comment

You are running a #40 pilot?? theres your problem. Dont assume that your rebuild kits come with proper sized jets
                              Put in the #45's and I bet your stalling goes away
                              EDIT: I looked it up and the service manual says a #40 pilot, but that is for a STOCK bike with airbox, a #45 would be a better choice.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I'm getting my jets from www.iwt.com.au in SA. $8.50 each for my pilots and mains and I just give him a call and get him to express post so I get it the next day. $9 is what he charges for express post.

He has a full price list on there somewhere so you should be able to see needle prices as well I would imagine.
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X