• Show
Clear All

Or should i just try a dynojet kit?

Comment

Originally posted by ljjeeper View Post
      Or should i just try a dynojet kit?
      you state that they already have a stage 3 kit in them
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        you state that they already have a stage 3 kit in them
        Thats what i was told by the previous owner, but so far the only thing he told me that was true about mods is that it has a kerker 4-1.

Comment

You need to open those carbs up to see what's inside. Pointless doing anything else first.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Your PO knows nothing if he told you anything other than stock.These are close to what is on an 1100

They are the BS32's off my 85 750
            This is a set of VM29's

Comment

mr sooke the air jet thingy is missing from no.4 carb
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                mr sooke the air jet thingy is missing from no.4 carb
                Whatever you say

Comment

Whats the difference between the vm29 and vm26?

Comment

Oh, about $400.00
                    '80 GS1000ST
                    '92 ZX-11
                    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Those are 26s and you dont have 29s..thats the difference as I see it. Stock carbs for that bike. And dont leave that petcock on prime for any more time than it takes to prime the carbs. Notorious for leaky petcocks filling the crankcase with gas and the unsuspecting ( or uninformed ) owner fires it up and spins the crank due to water thin oil...or one of the cylinders is full of gas and as you crank it it hydrolocks and bends a rod. I would take a piece of hose and put it on the petcock in the on position. Stick the end of the hose in a clear soda bottle and let it sit overnight. In the AM see if theres any gas in the bottle. If none then the petcock is shutting off properly..if there is, then you have a leaky petcock. If you have even a .001% doubt about the petcock and it has been sitting like that on prime, I would waste the 4 quarts of oil in the engine and drain it, then perform the leakdown test as I described earlier.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-08-2012, 12:43 AM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That petcock does appear to be in "Prime" position and it also appears to be the newer '82/'83 GS1100E type instead of the older one. I think the hole spacing might be different between the two.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

That looks exacly like them. Those are the vm29's?

What would be a good starting point on tuning for the 4-1 exhaust and the pods? Or is there something else that would cause it to run rich?
                          Okay, you have the stock carbs. I'm guessing they're running rich because you have the "choke" partially on

You need to give them complete tear down and cleaning with new O rings per the VM tutorial

Then you can verify what jets you have in there and whether it has a Dynojet Stage 3 kit (which is not a requirement for tuning)

Oh, and you need to do the other 9 things from the "Top Ten Common Issues" list. Download a service manual from BassCliff and read through the other links on his page

Then report back
                          Last edited by Big T; 01-08-2012, 02:00 AM.
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Or the fuel level is to high, the Bozo (PO) had raised the needles too high when rejetting, too big of jets were installed and (or) the carbs need a good going through after the supposed cleaning that was done to get it up for sale
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'd also remove the in-line fuel filter, some of them actually restrict the flow of fuel. My bike had running problems when I bought it and removing the filter cured it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                                Okay, you have the stock carbs. I'm guessing they're running rich because you have the "choke" partially on

You need to give them complete tear down and cleaning with new O rings per the VM tutorial

Then you can verify what jets you have in there and whether it has a Dynojet Stage 3 kit (which is not a requirement for tuning)

Oh, and you need to do the other 9 things from the "Top Ten Common Issues" list. Download a service manual from BassCliff and read through the other links on his page

Then report back

Are these the top ten you are talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X