Last Few Drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Few Drops

I swapped out tanks and drained the one that had been on my GL by setting the petcock to prime. I'm wondering if there is a trick to getting the last few ounces out. I tried holding the tank upside down and shaking to get it to clear the lip and come out the filler hole. I tried angling the tank every possible way (a rhythmic dancing maneuver) with petcock still on prime. I figure there is a very small amount left. Can I just leave the gas cap off and let it evaporate?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
    I swapped out tanks and drained the one that had been on my GL by setting the petcock to prime. I'm wondering if there is a trick to getting the last few ounces out. I tried holding the tank upside down and shaking to get it to clear the lip and come out the filler hole. I tried angling the tank every possible way (a rhythmic dancing maneuver) with petcock still on prime. I figure there is a very small amount left. Can I just leave the gas cap off and let it evaporate?
    OK, we really need the video. I'm sure it would be entertaining. Let the bit of gas evaporate.

Comment

I did that once. I was surprised to find out after over a week that it was mostly water.

Comment

Sorry, no video but maybe my daughter can video a reenactment. The tank is under a shed out of the weather, so in a couple of days it will probably be dry. I was mainly trying to avoid getting too much gas on the paint. Thanks.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

The truth is those last few drops of fuel are magnetic and really want to stick to the inside of your tank. Your best chance is to pull off the fuel tap and rock the fuel back and forth across the hole and try and catch it in a cloth.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
          X