Floods after valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floods after valve adjustment

i picked up a 1979 GS550E as a winter project and have been working out the kinks and doing routine maintenance. i got around to the valves a few weeks ago, the clearences were non existent. i had to go up 2 sizes, and 3 on a few to get it within spec. Original head gasket, 27,xxx miles, so the PO never checked the valves. it came with a Yoshimura 4-1 already installed and jetted, but no air filter. before the valve adjust it ran fine, maybe a tad rich without the filter. after i adjusted the valves though, i couldnt get past 3K RPM with bogging down. I pulled the Carbs again, and adjusted the floats. the question i have is how to dial in the carbs. The Jets are 92.5 Mains, 50 starter and 15 Pilot. the mains were screwed in really tight so i dont know whether to follow my Clymer manual and turn out the mains 2 turn from lightly seated and the specs for the rest the same way, or if there is a different procedure with the 4-1. it has the factory airbox with a Unifilter foam filter element, and new intake o-rings, as well as Carb orings from Cycleorings.com. let me know what you thing, thank you

You seem to be mixing terms, or be confused about what you need to do:

1. You don't loosen main jets, They should be snugged down
    2. You do turn the air screw and the fuel screw - this 79 does have VM Carbs, right?
    3. What is a starter?

Also, I'm assuming you cleaned the carbs per the tutorial?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

sorry about that, this is my first street bike and my first real experience with carburetors so im a little foggy here. it does have VM carbs. i dont get your 3rd question. it has a Dyna-s ignition if thats what you mean. i didnt dip the carbs but i did spray them out well

Edit: oh i see what you mean, im definately mixing up my terminology here. the jet i was referring to is the one that caps off the pilot jet i think.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggystyle View Post
        i picked up a 1979 GS550E as a winter project and have been working out the kinks and doing routine maintenance.

it came with a Yoshimura 4-1 already installed and jetted, <SNIP> but no air filter.maybe a tad rich without the filter.

after i adjusted the valves though, the mains were screwed in really tight so i dont know whether to follow my Clymer manual and turn out the mains 2 turn from lightly seated
        Well lets see, you bought it and found it had no maintenance done to it, it came with no air filter installed yet still ran a tad rich, then you installed the air filter which made it run even richer still. plus, someone installed a 4 to 1 that was supposedly 'jetted for the pipe' and who knows if that was even done correctly.

my best guess, your jetting is too rich and I'd question if even the needle height is set correctly.

I would suggest you do a bit of searching to see what other people have came up with for settings after having done similar modifications.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Start at the beginning, do the complete carb cleaning process as described in Basscliff's welcome, learn the terminology, learn what all of the different jets and screws do. Then find out what size jets your bike had originally and make changes to the jet sizes that are appropriate for you pipe and air intake system. With 92.5 main jets it was NOT jetted correctly for a 4-1 pipe. Haphazzard poking around with things you don't understand will never make a bike run correctly.

There is guaranteed to be a lot of other maintenance that has been neglected thirty years, it all needs to be done.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

sorry about that, this is my first street bike and my first real experience with carburetors so im a little foggy here. it does have VM carbs. i dont get your 3rd question. it has a Dyna-s ignition if thats what you mean. i didnt dip the carbs but i did spray them out well

Edit: oh i see what you mean, im definately mixing up my terminology here. the jet i was referring to is the one that caps off the pilot jet i think.
            I still have no idea what you're talking about. The VM carbs have main jets, pilot jets, air screws and fuel screws for adjustments. The fuel screws are under the front of the carb and have a cap over them

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

ok, so i read the tutorial and started to get familiar with the parts and names of everything so hopefully i dont sound like a complete idiot haha. so what i have is: Main - 92.5 Bleeder 50 Pilot 15, and the needle on the 3rd clip from the bottom. i know that stock for my bike is Main 80 Bleeder 40 pilot 15 . is there a general rule of thumb with 4-1 headers and how many sizes you increase the jets by? i am leaving the lid on the airbox and using a regular filter so the only change would be the header. thanks for your help, and sorry for the confusion

Comment

Are you sure about the 80 main jet?

Comment

im pretty sure. i have cross referenced a few different sites and that seems to be the right size. i also checked keyster rebuild kits and they are also 80.

Comment

I am not going to be much help with the carburetion issues, but I was intrigued by this statement:
                    i got around to the valves a few weeks ago, the clearences were non existent. i had to go up 2 sizes, and 3 on a few to get it within spec.
                    Are you saying that all your valves were LOOSE?

Usually, the valves on these bikes tighten up, and you have to go 2 or three sizes DOWN on the shims.

Last edited by Steve; 02-08-2012, 09:29 PM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok, so i read the tutorial and started to get familiar with the parts and names of everything so hopefully i dont sound like a complete idiot haha. so what i have is: Main - 92.5 Bleeder 50 Pilot 15, and the needle on the 3rd clip from the bottom. i know that stock for my bike is Main 80 Bleeder 40 pilot 15 . is there a general rule of thumb with 4-1 headers and how many sizes you increase the jets by? i am leaving the lid on the airbox and using a regular filter so the only change would be the header. thanks for your help, and sorry for the confusion
                      Okay, so back to your original question - what's the right carb set up?

It's hard to say because every pipe/air filter combination is a bit different. So, I'd start with

Main 92.5
                      Pilot - 15
                      Air - 2 turns
                      Fuel - 1 turn
                      Needle - 2nd clip from the bottom

Then, do some plug chops and see what you have going on

The not revving issues generally points to air leaks, but could possibly be overly rich. Your plugs don't lie, get out your plug wrench
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

"Usually, the valves on these bikes tighten up, and you have to go 2 or three sizes DOWN on the shims."

OOPS! i meant down, i making all kinds of mistakes today!

well before the valve adjustment i could rev to the redline with no staggering, and i sealed my airbox and installed new intake o-rings and the boots don't have any cracks and are still fairly flexible. before i pulled the carbs yesterday, i would rev and then a few seconds after returning to idle, the left carb would pour gas from the overflow tube. for a few seconds, but only when on the sidestand. my floats are also quite a bit off so that could be part of the problem, i tested the float valves and they werent sticking. i didnt have this problem before though.
                        can i do accurate plug chops without riding? its snowing pretty heavily here and will be for a few weeks so i cant take it anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

No, but you can clean your carbs properly and put in new O rings

Plugs chops under load only

If you can get a Colortune, that would get you close
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i have one soaking as we speak in carb dip and i just ordered a new set of o-rings for the carbs since i fouled a few up taking them off to clean. i saw a carburetor sync kit at Harbor Freight, so ill see if i can pick it up next time im in that area. one thing that scares me is that the bike smokes. its all white and smells strongly like gas, not oil. could an overly rich condition cause this somehow? i know when i cleaned the carbs the first time it stopped for the most part

Comment

Super rich.

Comment

Working...
                              X