Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just received my Jet Kit, but I think its the wrong one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received my Jet Kit, but I think its the wrong one.

I ordered the DynoJet jet kit for my 82 GS 1100 GL from Motorcycle Super Store and on their site I entered the information about my bike to make sure the kit I buy would be the correct one.

It showed up today and it says that this kit is for the 16 valve bikes. I checked the SKU number in my email about my order and from their website and the SKU matches what is said to fit my bike and what on the package.

Can I still use this kit or do I need to send it back?

On DynoJets website it shows two different part numbers between the 16 valve and 8 valve.

didnt want to open it if I need to send it back

I would trust the Dynojet info before I would assume that the vendor is correct. But that's just me. On my first try I got 3103 from an ebay vendor for "82 gs1100 jet kit" search. I would look it up few times to confirm the result then exchange it for the correct one.

Comment

3103 is the kit Im suppose to have according to DynoJets information. Ill call the vendor and see if they have that kit and what they will do about this one.

Edit: is my bike a 16 valve???? I didnt think it was but maybe it is?
      Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Your bike is an 8 valve.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thats what I thought. Had me second guessing. Any way thanks for all the help. Just waiting to hear back about exchanging the kit now

Comment

8v kits will have larger jets, possibly different needles but I couldn't tell you in what way they're different. The changes in the tapers are small enough my eyes can't see the difference and I've never tried to measure them.

The 8v and 16v 1100cc bike both use BS34 carbs, but the 8v sets have rather large sizes in jets compared to the 16v sets. I'd assume (and it's just that) because the 16v heads breathe much better than the 8v heads.
            Obviously you've figured out your kit is the wrong one, but do let us know what the differences in net sizes are as I for one am curious having never bought a kit for an 8v bike.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              8v kits will have larger jets, possibly different needles but I couldn't tell you in what way they're different. The changes in the tapers are small enough my eyes can't see the difference and I've never tried to measure them.

The 8v and 16v 1100cc bike both use BS34 carbs, but the 8v sets have rather large sizes in jets compared to the 16v sets. I'd assume (and it's just that) because the 16v heads breathe much better than the 8v heads.
              Obviously you've figured out your kit is the wrong one, but do let us know what the differences in net sizes are as I for one am curious having never bought a kit for an 8v bike.
              Ill definitely let you know what I find out. Its weird looking at the various jet kits because they are saying that an 82 GS1100GL could be either 8 or 16 it seems. But I trust the people on here who know these bikes in and out.

Comment

You could always pull the cover and count the valves.....

Comment

Well, there was an 1100L 16v but it was only made one year (1980) and it was chain drive. The "G" designation is used on shaft drive only.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                    You could always pull the cover and count the valves.....
                    more work than I want to do

So, called Motorcycle Super Store and explained the situation and to see if I could order the new kit. Apparently in their system that is the only kit they have for both 8v and 16v. The lady looked up the correct part # from dynojet and their number and said I should call and confirm with them, then call MSS back so they can order it.

Called, Confirmed, Called back MSS and re explained the situation to the new girl on the phone who transferred me to the guy who I was emailing with, then they hung up on me.

So Im sending the part back, getting my money and ordering directly from DynoJet, who was very helpful and very nice.

Im not going to BS around with some company over something so simple and a 20 dollar difference in price

Comment

Just to make sure, your bike is shaft drive? If so it's an 8 valve engine. There was never a 16 valve shaft drive GS until the GSX1100G in 1991, a completely different motorcycle...
                      There was a GS 1100L with a 16 valve engine, but it's chain drive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it is a shafty. It just through me for a loop when they were trying to tell me I had a 16 valve bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X