UK spec Gs1000s 28mm mikunis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK spec Gs1000s 28mm mikunis

OK do any of you guys know what the stock needle position should be,as im going to start
    from the begining and try find out my 6500rpm flat spot is.....
    i know that it had 95s main jets in it....
    have totaly given up with so called local bikeshops who have mucked my carbs right up....
    as i said before spent fortune on their £50hr labour charges and Bullsh*t ,in sorting it out or in my case not...

Off hand, I don't. If you look up the part in the catalogue the needle will be listed as something like this... 5L31-3. The -3 is the clip position on the needle.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Middle position Steve. And herein lies the conundrum - some had 95 mains (same as the VM26s for the 1000s) and some had 102.5s (halfway between the 2 sizes for the VM26s fitted to the 750s). 2 different types of pilot jets too - both 15s but some were short and some were long, same as the later GS750 type. The carb rebuild kits always have the short pilots (I think).

What throttle position is the flat spot at rather than the revs? That'll tell you which carb circuit needs tweaking.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I will start from the begining had Gs1085s set up and was flying had it Dynoed it was set up
        spot on,needles were set up on 2 from the bottom ,135main jet...
        then i take it off the road for winter in spring it runs like a bag off poo splutters and dies 6500rpm...
        so me not sure what problem is take to a local dealer , he messes around with it gives me a huge bill for the labour,still no better,eventualy i find someone else to try and sort it out
        he find that i have a misfire caused by 2 badly cracked Green Dyna coils ,both in the same place half way along ,they were 10yrs old...
        replace them with another set of coils,have also fitted a new Boyer digital ignition one with Red box,new battery rec & reg ,so it isnt that...
        at 6000rpm if you wind it on gently it will rev to red line you wind it on with a big handfull it splutters and dies....
        I will tell more more latter...

Comment

I take it she's sporting K&Ns and a 4-1?
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

GS, can you take it back a stage as a lots changed in one hit. You have no base to know what was working right before its gone wrong.

Think about it. Ran well, wintered, now you changed carb's setting, coils, ignition system etc.

Comment

GS

I know you've posted your trials and tribulations with this problem here before and I can't remember all that you've done

You had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned last year after the problem started?

Faltering at 6,000 Rpm sounds like main jet, but it ran well in years past, right?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well to day i had the needles out ,and what i find is they have been moved to the second
                from the top?....
                also it dont make any differance what size main jet i put in we have been from 120 to 135
                what now I ask....
                it has V&H megaphone pipe oval K&Ns , to day i have changed needles back to where they were originally 2 from the bottom...
                started Gs up today sounds very nice ,but untill i tax it I cant very well road test it to see if all is well,trouble is blew my smoothbore carb budget i had on labour trying to sort this mess out Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrhhhhhh....

Comment

If someone has moved the needles from position 2 to 4 it's more than likely that the mains won't be coming in to play properly. If you have popped the clip back in to 2 when you hit WOT they now will. As it ran fine with 135s I would leave them in there (though I would have thought 135s would be a bit rich, 130s would be closer but you can find that out on WOT plug chops). 120s I suspect would be lean by quite a bit.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

yes lads I agree with all you say thanks...
                    what i cant take in is a bike that is rearly going well, i take off the road for 4 months then it run like poo, can only mean it was them Dyna coils had a crack in both of them ,then got damp inside the result is have a mega misfire and as "S.M" says we messed with to many things trying to sort it out..
                    I have learnt alot from this and will sort eventualy and never rely on anymore local bikeshops again...
                    All so I would like to say im not slagging off Dyna as these coils had been on my Gs for past 10yrs and when i get it back to running how it did i will buy another set....

Comment

Let us know when you road test it

Yours has been an intriguing situation (for us) and maddening for you
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Let us know when you road test it

Yours has been an intriguing situation (for us) and maddening for you
                        yes all i got from our local bikeshops was its the ethernol they put in our petrol our old bikes will not run on it,asked a m8 to get my carbs sonicly cleaned carbs then stripped and cleaned at least a dozen more times, my poor wife going crazy because ,we didnt ride it
                        last summer and the money we spent getting no where....
                        but i came so close to selling it and leaving it at the back of the garage,but me wife and m8s said no....
                        just hope this summer is alot better........

Comment

Hey GSH, you've just got to keep fighting. You know that its a good bike under the skin. Forgive your own mistakes and the money, get it sorted yourself (know your a decent spanner man) then ride with enjoyment.

You could end up like me, loads of bikes but few ever get out where they belong. On the road!

Comment

SM...
                            remeber the good old days of S.O.C south coast meetings me and my wife used to ride
                            200miles just for a BQ then home again Gs used to enjoyed 1-2 a month, when we get sorted we will have to arrange a meet up at Boxhill....

Comment

I had my carbs dialed in as good as I could get them, but there was a slight reluctance to run full throttle smoothly. They are perfect now and I haven't touched them. The only difference is the StarTron I have been using in the fuel. It wasn't immediate, but over time I can only guess that it has cleaned something out that was giving me the problems. I would recommend using this additive. At least then you are not chasing your tail fighting fuel related problems.
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X