Cleaning pilot jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning pilot jets

We tell the newbies all the time how important it is to clean the carburetors correctly by dipping them for 24 hours if they've never been touched or at least a few hours if they have been recently done with the full job. Josh also supposed that his ZRX probably needed another carb cleaning due to possible junk in his pilot jets. Ed's fantastic tutorial explains the jets, especially the pilot jet, must be open. This is all known but what's not very well explained is what to do when we see an issue the cleaning won't resolve.

For instance, I'm cleaning my carbs because when I parked the bike before my accident last year, I didn't add any Stabil to the fuel. They were last fully dipped two years ago using the procedures written on the board at the time. In September, I removed the carbs and put them in the house untreated and that's where they sat until a few days ago. Now, I stripped and dipped each carb for 4 to 5 hours and see a difference in most everything. Carb spray is coming out of opposite orifices as best I can tell (still need to check the choke pickup tube) and most everything looks clear. I can poke a thin strand from a standard 18 gauge wire through the pilot, needle, and main jets without obstruction.

Or so I think. While looking through each of the pilot jets, I'm seeing a thin strand of something. I think it's gunk but not sure as I can spray the compressed air and nothing moves (using my air compressor). I intend to redip all of the pilot jets tomorrow along with the bowls but am wanting to ask for advice on what else I can do to remove any strands of anything inside of them.

Options?

THanks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I pluck a few wires out of the wood handled wire brush and poke the holes and scrape around a bit down the centers..and as you do, i use plenty of carb spray and air. Common to easily use 2 cans of spray just to be sure everything is rinsed way beyond what one would consider a thorough job.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dont forget that tiny hole that goesup the center of the jet as well...hold up to a bright light and take a looksy.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Dont forget that tiny hole that goesup the center of the jet as well...hold up to a bright light and take a looksy.
        Yea that is what I was doing and where I'm noticing the thin strand of "gunk". Sticking that thin strand doesn't seem to be doing much right now so obviously it's not enough. And it's the biggest reason why they are all going back into the dip in the AM before I go to work.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Well after a good 24 hr soak I bet whatever your seeing will be dissolved. especially since you know the hole is open and the sauce can get to it from several surfaces

Comment

Doin a set of carbs off my son's 83 550es and have seen the same thing in both pilots so far and that is after a 48 hr soak. Did the coper wire thing and air, it was just a little piece of something. The other set is in the tank at this time and was no where as bad as the other.
            So I guess that it is pretty comon occurance. I have a set of Acetelene wires for tips that handles the really ticklish stuff.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Unfortunately, im not entirely sure i solved my issues. I'm almost positive it's fuel/carb related however, as the stumble goes away when I add some
              "choke". It goes away entirely once the bike is warm. So I am near positive it's in the pilot circuit. Having pulled the pilot jets (these Keihin carbs are similar to the later mikunis but have some differences) and blasted them, cleaned them with wire etc and found nothing inside them, I'm afraid it's in a passage in the body itself. It's much better than it was, but still there. I'm hoping the near full can of Seafoam I dumped in the tank will dissolve whatever it may be. If not, there's a nearly as good tutorial on THESE carbs on the ZRX board. They're a bit more complex because of the TPS system but not too much more. If I have to they'll get rebuilt

I'd suggest a good soaking, and see what happens. It may also be possible what you're seeing is light playing through the holes and tricking your eyes into seeing a sliver of crap.

Comment

I believe in PIN DRILLS. Get the set of #60 to #80 on Amazon for less than $10.

Always fit the shank end of the drill in the jet first to check for size. If it doesn't start in, try the next smaller drill. Then turn it over and spin the drill by hand.

Pin drills are also useful for bumping your pilot jets to the next size and saving $13 each.

And if you f-them up, you needed new ones anyway!

Comment

And I believe in an eye loupe. It leaves nothing to chance.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

An eye loupe Rusty? WHat's that?

BTW, all four pilot jets and two of my bowls went into the dip this AM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

The thing jewelers wear to look at the rings and such...eyepiece with a wire loop that holds it on your head. A good handheld glass will be of great use too. thats what i have.

Comment

Okay, thanks

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Get the real deal.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

So I think Josh is correct and it's nothing but the light playing tricks on me. After soaking them for 9 hours and spraying them with both carb cleaner (full spray out all holes) and my air compressor, I still see the lines in there. Funny thing, they don't move or change as I rotate the pilot jet so it makes me thing it's not really in there.

So, I will dip the other two bowls tomorrow morning and repaint later this week.

Thanks for the help.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                            X