What kind of acid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of acid?

I don't want to subject my old 4-1 to any more sandblasting, it's thin enough as it is. What acid is supposed to remove rust? Muriatic? Hydrochloric? How do I use it? Diluted?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Not sure which acid to suggest, just be aware that acid might take away some metal, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Phosphoric acid, home depot in the paint section, called prep and etch, like $15 a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
        Phosphoric acid, home depot in the paint section, called prep and etch, like $15 a gallon.
        Yes on the phosphoric acid. Unfortunately, they don't sell anything like being referenced above at my local Home Depots.

Evaporust works great. Oxalic acid works well too (look at the deck cleaner or deck bleach products to see if they contain oxalic acid). Both of these won't eat off good metal while killing the rust.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Muriatic will etch the metal, in a very short period.
          Try Naval Jelly(phosphoric acid), it doesn't smoke and burn holes, lol.

Muriatic Acid contains hydrochloric acid.
          (so think of it as the same thing, just two different names)

You can find it in most hardware stores, in the concrete/masonry section.

To neutralize any of these acids, just dillute it with water, and dump some baking soda or washing soda, stir, then let it sit over night...
          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
            Muriatic will etch the metal, in a very short period.
            Try Naval Jelly(phosphoric acid), it doesn't smoke and burn holes, lol.
            Yep, Naval Jelly. Your Home Depot or Walmart will carry that.

Comment

Muriatic acid is just another name for industrial grade hydrochloric acid. "Industrial grade" doesn't mean stronger. It means less pure than laboratory grades.

If you need to ask what kind of acid to use, please don't use concentrated acids. Phosphoric acid isn't a terribly strong acid, but it can still hurt a person. Naval jelly is about a third the concentration of the normal liquid. Its gelled form makes it a lot less likely to be splashed, which is the major way that people get hurt with it. Naval jelly is also pretty obviously not something to play with. Concentrated phosphoric acid looks a bit like corn syrup.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've de-rusted the inside of many a moped-frame gas-tank with sulfuric acid. About 10 parts acid to 1 part water mixed in a gallon jug... then poured in... sloshed around... set over night. Drained the next morning, and chased with 3 gallons of BOILING hot water mixed with about 3-4 boxes of baking soda to neutralize it.

If your pipes aren't pitted, you could try the "Evaporust" or "Rust-Mort" products, but those are normally made to neutralize the rust so that you can paint it and it won't begin to bleed through.

I think if you used a spray-bottle of 75/25 Sulfuric Acid to Distilled H2O and gave it a heavy misting, you could probably buff-off the rust in about 30 minutes with a micro-fiber cloth.

*Use gloves
                *Wear Eye Protection
                *Do not use near painted surfaces

It's basically battery acid... 5 gallons will cost you 15 bucks at an auto parts store.

Comment

My pipes are quite pitted. That's one of the reasons why I don't want to sandblast & why I want to use an acid.
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Evapo rust is a near miracle for rust removal.
                    No scary thing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      Evapo rust is a near miracle for rust removal.
                      No scary thing to worry about.
                      Plus if you use a catch container for however you spray it on or submerge parts, you can re-use it over and over again, some even filter it until it quits working. Evapo rust or the prep and etch are your cheapest and very proven methods, prep and etch can be diluted or use at full strength. Use water afterwards to neutralize. No need for concoctions or soda. Also can be used for the inside of a fuel tank, neither will hurt chrome and the P&E wll at the same time coat any bare metal for future rust prevention.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
                        ...I think if you used a spray-bottle of 75/25 Sulfuric Acid to Distilled H2O and gave it a heavy misting, you could probably buff-off the rust in about 30 minutes with a micro-fiber cloth.

*Use gloves
                        *Wear Eye Protection
                        *Do not use near painted surfaces

It's basically battery acid... 5 gallons will cost you 15 bucks at an auto parts store.
                        FWIW, I've been responsible for chemical safety at several factories.

STAY THE H*LL AWAY FROM SULFURIC ACID. Fortunately battery acid is about a fourth the strength of concentrated sulfuric acid. Aerosol sulfuric acid, even at the concentration used above (1/4 x 1/4 = 1/16th) could fry a person's lungs if inhaled. It is a very strong oxidizing agent, especially when heated.

Never add water to sulfuric acid. (This applies to most concentrated acids, but especially to sulfuric and nitric acids.) The reaction is highly exothermic. Enough heat can be released for the acid to boil - instantly - and cause a glass container to shatter. "Your ass will be grass if you add water to acid." When diluting acids, always add the acid to water, and do so very slowly.

Sufluric acid reacts with iron under some conditions to form hydrogen gas, and at others it forms SO2 gas and HCl gas. Those turn to sulfurous and hydrochloric acids if you inhale them.

Don't use concentrated acids unless you are fully clothed (rubberized aprons are advised). A safety shower and eye wash should be within a few feet.

Forget sulfuric acid and use EvapoRust.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Good advice, thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X