Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an issue? Maybe different size carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an issue? Maybe different size carb?

Put all the carbs back together and then saw this:

Three of them say 140

And one says 130

Also I'm having trouble bench syncing the #3 carb. I am following the basscliff tutorial step for step. All the others will change and adjust except that one.

Is this a trick question? Carbs 1, 2 and 4 are synched to carb 3 whose throttle plate opening is controlled by idle stop screw.
    I have no idea what the 140 or 130 means ,but I would think they should all be identical when they left Japan. My 650 carbs say 135
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can't see your pictures while at work, but I can tell what you are asking about.

I, too, have seen different numbers on the throttle blades, but have never noticed any differences between them.

Like Tom, I have to ask "is this a trick question?" Follow the sequence for the bench sync, then later for the dynamic sync. You accept #3 for whatever it is. You can change it by using the main idle speed control knob. For a bench sync, set #3 so there is just barely a sliver of light at the bottom. Adjust #2 so it matches #3. (Do not lock the screw in place, just makes it that much harder to change later.) Adjust #1 so it matches #2 and #3. Finally, adjust #1 so it matches all the others.

When you get the bike running and are ready to do a dynamic sync, follow the same sequence. Factory manual calls for engine speed of 1750 for this, I have always done it closer to actual idle speed, 11-1200.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah I dont know why I forgot about the idle stop screw. Brain fart on my end. I got them synced up after realizing it was back there.

I still haven't found anything on the numbers. I'm hoping it's not a size thing but if it is I guess I'll be looking for a 140.

Comment

Originally posted by AlTheKiller View Post
          I still haven't found anything on the numbers. I'm hoping it's not a size thing but if it is I guess I'll be looking for a 140.
          I have noticed differrent numbers, but never paid much attention to them.
          I have mixed and matched carbs from different sets with no problems.
          I am guessing that some of them might have had different numbers on the throttle plates, but could not verify that.

Don't waste any time worrying about it or trying to chase down another carb with a 140.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X